Inlay blank problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I am having problems assembling the RN nurse inlay blank. The problem is with the letters. The N in particular would not fit into its space no matter what I did. Being thin fragile bass wood it broke in 3 pieces. It went in easily then but the breaks show through the finish. The R broke in one spot too. Is there actually a way to get these in without breaking them or if not is there a way to disguise the breaks not to show? The instructions were no help at all. I know some of the other blanks will have this same problem just by looking at them so I would like to find the solution before attempting them. The RN was for a gift thankfully. I would not attempt to sell it as it is.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Sometimes using a little bit of soapy water will help pop the piece into place. There are some inlays where you have to break the inlays into two or more pieces to get them to fit. You're right, though, that it can be tricky to hide the fracture after the fact. If the gap is minimal between the parts, I usually press the pieces together at the seam and lightly touch a drop of CA to the joint (after the soapy water has dried, of course). If the gap is noticeable, you can also try filling in the space between the two pieces with dust sanded from the remnant from which the inlay was cut. Good luck, and post a pic when you're finished! :biggrin:

magpens

Which company's inlay blank are you using, please ? I wasn't aware of a RN blank from Kallenshaan or Lazerlinez, but maybe I have overlooked it.

I like doing inlays, but sometimes break the insert or surround. If that happens, I use a tiny amount of thin CA to secure the pieces without filling up the break/crack. I then use a small file, and file over the crack so that some dust goes into the crack. Then I apply another tiny amount of thin CA. Repeating this process I usually end up with the crack no longer visible. Filing in the direction of the crack is usually the best procedure. Hope this helps.

jsmithmarcus

I made one of those for my wife and had the same problem. I assembled the pen and tried to fill the breaks with a little CA. It turned out fine but you can still see the breaks if you look closely.

Sabaharr

I spoke with Ken at Kallenshaan yesterday and he outlined the proper method for inserting the letters into this blank. I swear I did try that because it was laid out in the instructions the same way. If I do another one of these I will try that way and that way only until it goes in without any excess pressure. Ken gave me great customer support and I recommend him as a great vendor.

pianomanpj

I spoke with Ken at Kallenshaan yesterday and he outlined the proper method for inserting the letters into this blank. I swear I did try that because it was laid out in the instructions the same way. If I do another one of these I will try that way and that way only until it goes in without any excess pressure. Ken gave me great customer support and I recommend him as a great vendor.

Agreed. Ken is totally top shelf. :good::good::good:

Top Bottom