Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevefromnfld

Hi guys,,I'm new at this,and havn't even made one pen yet.I'm waiting for a new mandrel to fit my lathe,should be here fri or monday.Anyway,I see alot of pens that look like they have another colored wood inlayed into them in the form of a design.How do you do that?Is it done in the gluue up stage or afterwards very carefully?
Just curious,,lol,,,not going to try this first..lol...Steve..:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jahlg

This is done in the glue up stage, your imagination is the limit with pens, but i would suggest starting out with the basics first, get your finishing skills down first. No sense putting all that time into a segmented pen and not get a great finish on it!! [:D]

It's a secret!!

Just kidding.

There is a forth coming a article that will be posted soon that tells all. It was written by four IAP members and I got a sneak peek, it's good!

wudwrkr

Steve,
Some of the more intricate designs are created with a laser. Just check out www.kallenshaanwoods.com. When I first saw some of those pens, I was hooked!

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />It's a secret!!

Just kidding.

There is a forth coming a article that will be posted soon that tells all. It was written by four IAP members and I got a sneak peek, it's good!

Sneak peek[?][:D]

vick

You should definately work on getting round pens with a godd finish to start off with. If you see a pen and you want to know how it was done I would recomend sending an e-mail to the maker and asking them. Most are more than willing to share or point you in the right direction.

Good news also on top of the segmented tutorial by some members Mark Gisi gave his permission to post his tutorial on how to make scallops on this site. I would expect Jeff to post it in the next week or so.

YoYoSpin

Inlaying...here's a tutorial link to a couple of ideas on how to do it: http://www.yoyospin.com/inlay/

20b.jpg

DocStram

Hey Ed .... nice job.... very nice! The pictures are excellent and the whole thing is sequenced really well.
Just the other night I was looking thru an old issue of WD and read your article on polymer clay pens. I'm thinking of trying one over the next month or so. Do you have any updated suggestions that would help?

stevefromnfld

Thanks guys,,I love looking around at this stuff.Very interesting reading .I do alot of intarsia,,that's why I was curious about the inlays.I've seen stuff done with lasers,,and they look great,,but not my cup of tea really.Beautiful woodcrafts without "cheating" is what impresses me the most.That's probably too stong a word,,but it fits.The ones you guys do right from the glue ups are the real "wicked " ones!!!Later on I'll try them.But your definitly right about finishing!!I'm only now getting what I consider proffesional results with my fretworks and intarsias,,I almost got the airbrush down pat with clear finishes.And with the lathe,,the finishes are done when the work is spinning,,,I'm 42 now,,,when I'm 50,,,I'll be on my way!!!lol...No kidding!!!Have a great weekend!!!Steve...[:D]

YoYoSpin

Al, I don't use Polymer Clay any more. About a year after I wrote that article, discovered that about half of all my PC pens had developed cracks. It may have something to do with the thinness of the turned materials, humidity and or the altitude...I live at 7,000 feet, at the foot of Pikes Peak in Colorado. Bottom line, I don't recommend P-clay for turning applications any longer.

buzzb

A possible alternate approach to produce a yoyospin pen for those of us without Oneway's might be a spin index like the one shown in the Grizzly catalog (G5649) on pg. 567 mounted on a drill press. It has plenty of rotational indexing and over 2" of spindle travel. Has anyone tried something like this? Be nice to know before ordering if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom