inlace acrylseter vs. PR vs. acrylic vs. lucite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

so is there really any difference in these or are they just marketing buzz words? the way i understand it is lucite and acrylic are synonymous but is inlace acrylester a different deal altogether? and i suppose PR may be more similar to acrylester?

thewishman

In my experience, inlace acrylester is much more brittle than any of the others. Celluloid turns the easiest and other acylics (Berea's especially) are closer to celluloid in ease of turning.

Chris

gerryr

Lucite and acrylic are pretty much the same in terms of turning. PR can either be easy to turn or extremely brittle, depends on how much hardener is used in the mixture. Snakeskin blanks from AS are very brittle and can literally explode while turning. Don Ward's snakeskin blanks are very easy to turn. They are both made with PR, but Don knows how to make them so they aren't brittle. Inlace acrylester is brittle and requires a fair amount of care when turning. We don't use celluloid, in spite of what CS calls the stuff. This has been discussed many times before.

ahoiberg

i guess i should have phrased my question differently. i'm more curious from a chemical makeup point of view. i've turned all of the different products, but i was curious about the structure of the different "terms". thought maybe we had a chemist in our midst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom