Inlace Acrylester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdunn12

Just got a few of these blanks from Woodturningz.Has anyone had any luck turning these things.I just can't seem to get it right.Drilling them isnt a problem but once I get them to the lathe it is a disaster.I am using tools that are as sharp as I can get them,thats me sharpening them now so take that for what it is worth,and making slow light cuts.Any insight you guys can give me would be appreciated.Does it smell like bondo and body filler used in auto body repair to you guys too?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

It took me awhile to get it down. I only turn them when I have a good amount of time so I don't rush. Very Very light cuts. Also round out your blank on a belt sander if you can. I have even stopped turning and put it on the belt sander again if it is giving me a hard time.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
What tool are you using? I used to have many blowouts using a spindle gouge, but since I switched to a skew, blowouts are few and far between.
The one thing I have noticed about the inlace blanks from Woodturningz is I can be going along real smooth taking off nice ribbons of plastic and boom, all of a sudden hit an area where it wants to dig in.

DozerMite

Banned
That stuff is what made me decide to start casting my own stuff. I ordered a large quantity of it and had nothing but problems with it. When I called to ask about it I was told it's impossible for it to be brittle, they have a special additive they put in to keep it from being brittle.[:I]
So I haven't ordered any since. It is much more fun making my own.[:D][:D]

rdunn12

Well it is very brittle and extremely hard to work with.Gonna give it another shot or three.Because I ordered 4 of them.I started out rounding it as much as possible on the belt sander and then started turning.I tried my fingernail bowl gouge and the skew which I am not very good with.I think I might be too impatient for this stuff.They should warn you BEFORE you pay 3.50 for a blank that it is hard to work with.

TBone

I can not turn them with a skew. But I have a hard time turning a wood blank with just a skew, so take that into consideration. But the only way I can turn inlace is with a scraper. It took a while to turn it that way, but it turned out pretty good. I gave it to one of the girls that I supervise for Christmas last year and it still looks like new, she loves it.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I just made one - laminated some acrylic on to it...the acrylic turned great, making paper thin shavings.. but once I moved over to the inlace, it made fine dust and became craggy like the surface of the moon

I did my best to use a skew (which I suck at using) to smooth it out, but I'm not very good at turning Inlace yet.
ANdrew

GaryMGg

I just got back in from the shop; I've been turning some of this stuff tonight.
I really like the smell -- reminds me of when we patched surfboards. [;)]
I was turning more of the Ocean Mist tonight.
I use a razor sharp skew from square to round and all the way to finish.
I make sure the tool rest is smooth and clean so that I've got a good foundation to work from. I crank the lathe up full speed, then bring the tailstock up to the mandrel and lock it down. Then I just shred it.
Here's the one I turned tonight:

2007121443227_oceanMistGMSlimsml.jpg
<br />

One guy even does inlays in these blanks and turns them with a skew too.
NB: I did NOT make this pen:

20071214421_ExecEagle_acrylinlay.jpg

Take your time, scary sharp your tools and relax while you turn 'em.
IMHO, they're worth the time. It might take a bit more time to turn than wood but after turning properly with a skew, finishing only takes a few minutes. [8D]

Cheers,
G

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wait until you have turned a lot of plastics, including PR. You will develop a technique. Once you are VERY comfortable, then move to Acrylester. It IS brittle, but it makes a really nice looking pen. It CAN be turned. BUT, there is no quick way to become experienced.

In the alternative, ruin a bunch of blanks - then you develop a monetary motivation - that helps speed the process (DAMHIKT)[:D][:D][:D]

twoofakind

I have actually had good luck with either a spindle gouge or a radius skew and I crank the lathe to about mach 2. As a side note, these were not my first plastics, so as Ed said explore some of the easier choices first.
Andy

mick

Ditto what Billy and Chris says....fast, fast, fast lathe speed. I use a very sharp round nose scrapper to round them off and then switch to my beyond scary sharp skew. I guess I got used to turning Connie's PR and was used to the brittle quality of the material.
Gary that Ocean Mist slimline's a beaut. I can't keep any pen made out of it ....Sell em almost before they are made.
Keep at it Ron, you'll soon develop a "feel" for it!

armyturner

I could be wrong, but I believe Inlace "IS" PR. Gary, that could be why it smells like surf board resin. I have had lucek turning it just as I would turn any PR - as fast as my lathe will spin with a scary sharp gouge and a skew.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
It is worth your education in how to turn these blanks. I like everyone else here cannot keep a pen made out of this stuff in inventory. People love the colors, and with a NOVUS polish, this stuff looks like glass and can stand up to a pretty good beating.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Trust me, if you display about 25 of them, you will not sell them ALL. But, the ones that do sell allow you the opportunity to turn more and get better at it.

They should, however, be $50 (or better) pens, cause you WILL ruin a few.

Cecilia

The IA is a little touchy for new turners. We had trouble with it for quite a while. We'd actually given up on it at one point, and only ordered again when we had orders for colors *only* found at WT.

That first re-order from them included a flyer with tips on how to turn IA. Apparently we aren't the only ones who have had problem, so don't feel like you're all alone. (I'm not sure, but I think they may have changed the formula a little bit, too.)

Make sure you have very sharp tools (a fingernail gouge works well for us, but the skew is okay too - whatever you're more comfortable with) and don't apply too much pressure. Also, I know you said you haven't had trouble drilling the blanks, but it doesn't hurt to say it anyway. Don't drill all the way through. Cut your blank a little longer than necessary, set your drill press for about 1/8" from the end of the blank, drill only that deep, then trim off the end with the bandsaw.

We sand everything to about 400, also using the 320 Norton 3X pads, which, for some odd reason, are actually smoother than 400 grit paper. Then switch to Micro-Mesh and take it all the way up to 12,000. When you get to the smoother MM pads, be careful not to press too hard or stay in one place too long. The friction will eat up the MM. We finish off with a coat or two of Hut's Ultra Gloss.

If all the replies here still aren't doing it for you, give 'em a call. Fritz and Jeff have always been willing to offer advice and support.

rdunn12

Well I have turned the acrylics plenty of times and have only managed to mess up one.And it was my first acrylic.Makes sense that I would mess up the first inlace huh.I am going to try again and again until I get it.I also like the colors,they look real cool.I am going to try everyones suggestions and I will let u know how it works.Thanks to everyone for your help.

alamocdc

Originally posted by armyturner
<br />I could be wrong, but I believe Inlace "IS" PR. Gary, that could be why it smells like surf board resin. I have had lucek turning it just as I would turn any PR - as fast as my lathe will spin with a scary sharp gouge and a skew.

Nope, you aren't wrong. I've seen Ryan's set up. He uses the same stuff, just pours it in a bigger mold (much bigger) and cuts it to size w/a bandsaw.

karlkuehn

Banned
Hey, Ron, hang in there. I still get the dreaded "SSCHCHHKKKTTTT" sound myself, usually coupled with a dirty word or two (or four, if I was microns away from getting that perfect shape and finish).

I've noticed that some of them are more brittle than others as well, so maybe you just got some toughies.

For me, cutting, not scraping is the key, but sometimes it's hard even to get the darned things round without them going kablooie, so I often resort to the following to rough them down to at least round:

grinder.jpg

So far, it's worked like a charm, and it's really fast, but you gotta be careful, of course.

Now, the lathe purists are probably going to crucify me for posting that picture, you know, "learn by mistakes", "failure is the best teacher", "that's not turning", yadda yadda. Bottom line, I've saved more $3 blanks with that $14.99 Harbor Freight monstrosity than you can imagine! I'd rather commit a huge wood nerd faux pas than spend time trying to figure out how to glue a little mangled inlace pyramid-shaped nightmare back on a blank. (which never works, by the way...)

Once I get them down to round without blowing big hunks off, I'm in tall cotton from there with just my super-sharp 1" skew, cutting NOT scraping.

Hope this helps. [:)]

rdunn12

Well i did it thanks to you guys.Got 1 out of three attempts.I just did what you guys said and turned the lathe up to warp 10 sharpened the skew and gouge as sharp as I could get them and went to it.When I turned the lathe off after polishing the first word out of my mouth was WOW.This stuff really is nice looking.I did the molten metal on a wallstreet 2 from woodcraft.Absolutely stunning.And yeah this one will be high priced.Gotta recoup a little.I will buy some more of it now that you guys have helped me figure out how to do it.And hey karl let them say what they will if it works then do it.I have heard some say sandpaper is not a turning tool,well it is in my shop.

2rcbruce

I love the look of Inlace, but I can't seem to work up the patience to work with it. I also can't decide if its Pros out weigh its Cons and it has many pros and cons.

rdunn12

The pros are it looks awesome and is way better looking than acrylics.The cons are it is very hard to work with and very time consuming.Just my opinion.The one I made with it sold to the guy next door within 1 hour.It sells itself.

babyblues

Originally posted by karlkuehn
<br />Hey, Ron, hang in there. I still get the dreaded "SSCHCHHKKKTTTT" sound myself, usually coupled with a dirty word or two (or four, if I was microns away from getting that perfect shape and finish).
Ha ha!! Man, I hear ya. [:D] Nothing worse than hearing that when you are literally 2 seconds away from putting the tool down. I actually like turning this stuff better than acrylic acetate. Shines better and looks better.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
In my shop, I call that a 36 grit gouge! LOL....

To help out with the polishing of the Inlace stuff, it is easier to wet polish after you start with the Micro Mesh. Easy does it on the water though, you dont need to have a ton of water, but it makes a big difference. Wipe the blanks clean after each grit!

After wet polishing with Micro Mesh, if you take the NOVUS polish products and use them to polish the blanks, it is VERY SMMOOOTH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom