ink vs paint???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Hey folks;

I just got a large selection of high end PR and other resin blanks (Thanks Dawn :) and I know that I will be needing to do something to prevent the tubes from showing through the final diameter. Now, I've done dozens of these in the past using paint in several different types and colors. But, I always have a few that either the tube scrapes some off, or the CA eats or for whatever reason the coating is not continuous enough between the inside of the hole and the tube.

So, the question is, for blanks where a black background is OK, is there any reason to not use black ink instead of black paint? I've tried it on a couple and it's looking ok so far, but if somebody has a good reason, or enough bad experiences that show it's not a good idea, I'd rather know now than later.

What say the cognoscenti?

Thanks
James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I have never used ink to color the blanks, however I have had the same problem you mentioned. I have found if I heat the blank after painting, i.e. 150 for 5 minutes, the paint is cured harder. I also stopped using cheap paint and started using auto touch-up paint.

Additionally, I mostly use epoxy on painted blanks. Doesn't dissolve the CA. Just my .03

Last edited:

DurocShark

I've done sharpie ink on the tubes before, but it seemed to dissolve in the glue.

I believe it was CA I was using, but can't remember for sure. Regardless, painting the hole in the blank with a couple coats of paint and some time in the oven works great. Make sure there are no burrs on the ends of the tube so it doesn't scrape the paint off. (DAMHIKT)

bgibb42

I've thought about doing the same thing, but never got around to trying it. If it's worked so far, more power to you! Don is right though; Sharpie ink and CA don't mix. The CA just dissolves the Sharpie almost instantly.

jskeen

I'm using Noodlers "heart of Darkness" on a qtip, and it works fine. The red blank that hit the bench under the buffer was coated inside with ink, let dry and the tube was thick ca'd in. You can see where the PR broke off that about half of the CA came loose from the tube, and the other half came loose with the black ink attached from the inside of the blank.

Sometimes all the NDT in the world don't work as well as breaking something to see what it does. Still wish I had put the blank back on the dowel before buffing that one little spot out though.

Top Bottom