Ink Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChewTerr

Hey,

I'm sure this information is trivial for the experienced, but that's not me.

What do I need to know to buy ink refills for pens? I currently am interested in Sierras, as that's what I've turned so far. However, I would also like to know about what ink is compatible with which pens in general, for future pens.

Do you have preferred sites for shipping to American customers like myself? Are there refills with uncommon colors (purple, and so on).

Thanks for helping a novice like me!

-Will

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The ballpoint pens made with "kits" will use either "cross" or "parker" refills. Each is readily identifiable.

"Cross" is very thin and has a plastic top, with threads on the plastic.

"Parker" has a "sawtooth" top, again plastic.

Yes color is available from us and other vendors.

That's a start!! Have fun exploring!!

KenV

Hey,

I'm sure this information is trivial for the experienced, but that's not me.

What do I need to know to buy ink refills for pens? I currently am interested in Sierras, as that's what I've turned so far. However, I would also like to know about what ink is compatible with which pens in general, for future pens.

Do you have preferred sites for shipping to American customers like myself? Are there refills with uncommon colors (purple, and so on).

Thanks for helping a novice like me!

-Will

Sierra and similar one piece pens are set for the parker style refills.

Will add that parker style refills come in a wide range of colors, line widths, and ink types. Gel inks are popular with many. Fisher "space pen" refills are especially good for out-of-doors applications and rain. Schmidt (or private reserve) parker refills are highly thought of for line flow.

I find that the stock refills that come with components are not especially durable nor lay down as good a line as better quality gel or schmit refills.

I ended up purchasing some different ones and trying them myself -- the refill of the month program.

Last edited:

avbill

I sell quite a few refills with my pens sales. Most of what Ed said is true. There are several company's selling us different color inks i have stayed with black & blue. But here additional info:

"Cross" is very thin and has a plastic top, with threads on the plastic.

With the cross type you can offer either black or blue ink; in either fine or medium I have not found broad yet.

"Parker" has a "sawtooth" top, again plastic.

With the Parker type you can offer either black or blue ink;

with a parker you can get a fine point, medium point and a broad point. in both black & blue.

I did not do any research on any other colored refills Lawyers, Doctors, Investment brokers and alike do not use red, purple, green, pink ....

TurtleTom

You might find photo chart with measurements useful:
Refill Size Guide

Since the Cross requires threads to engage the transmission, is there a better refill for them?
I suppose it's like buying a VW and wanting to put a Maserati engine in it.

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

Will:

So now that you now about refills, lets talk ink. The refill that comes withe kit in most cases is not of quality. Exotic blanks as well as other sellers from the forum, have a great variety of good inks. This is something that we have discussed here many times so just ask.

I have found that Exotics blanks has a great selection of pen kits, specially high and middle end, they offer to upgrade the ink or the nib of the kit, this is something that no all suppliers offer, but is a great option, also there prices are competitive and/ or better than most.

We also have other vendors in our marketplace that you can visit there "stores". I have dealt with most of them and can give testament that they are wonderful people who will help you and if they can't they will refer you to who can, that's how great our vendors are. They grew here with our forum, they are one of us and that is why I go to them first.

I hope that this helps
Joey

ChewTerr

Thank y'all! This will definitely get me started on having replacement refills for gifts for friends. I mostly wanted the colored pens because my wife teaches, so variety is useful.

Top Bottom