Ink Pumps won't fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

I've had similar issues with Schmidt converters not fitting into Junior Anthonys. The Schmidt converter has a metal band on it that will not pass through the threads that the section screws in to. I've wound up having to use converters that do not have the metal band.

taz442

I have had the same issues with some kits also. I wanted to keep the convertor with the metal band due to my feeling that it looked to be of better quality. I ended up sanding and then polishing the metal band to make it fit.

edstreet

This is a very well known issue and a very old OLD problem. The problem lies in the feed where it connects to the converter (ink pump). One brand will while another may not. It does vary according to who made the nib/feed as well so take note which one will and will not.

taz442

I think we are actually talking about two different issues. One where the convertor does not fit onto the feed. The other where the band in the middle of the convertor does not pass the threads where the feed screws into.

Personally, I have not had a convertor not fit into a feed but will keep an eye on that as a possible issue. As stated in post #3, for the band in the middle of the convertor not passing past the feed threads, sanding & polishing the band will allow the convertor to pass.

taz442

Just a thought, you may be able to sand & polish the metal band that fits into the feed also. Depending on how much material needs to be removed.

jcm71

Attached is a picture of several feeds of fountain pens I have completed. On the left are four identical feeds from two Optimus Desires, a Raven and an Eagle. On the left are two from a Jr. Gent II and a Magnetic Vertex. Notice the extended nipples on the two on the right. The threading on the two styles is also different, making them non-interchangable.

I am somewhat mystified by this because I include a converter with every FP I sell, and I have sold several Optimus, Raven, and Eagle FPs in the past, with this never having been an issue. It's an issue because I lost a sale this past Saturday at the Knoxville market because the customer wanted a converter to go with the Optimus he wanted to buy, but I couldn't get one to fit.

I am going to direct Constant to this thread so he can look into it. In the meantime does anyone out there know if there are feeds available that will accept a converter and are compatible with Optimus, Raven and Eagle. Alternatively, are there different brand converters out there that are compatible with Optimus, etc. Many thanks to all for your inputs.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Stephen

Require standarization

I have had the same problems.The solution is for pen kit suppliers to have a common standard. Other industries have a common acceptable standard.

jcm71

I have never been acclaimed as the sharpest knife in the drawer or fastest swimmer in the pool. This thread I initiated is a good indicator why. I talked to Constant a couple of hours ago (fantastic gentleman by the way), and as our conversation progressed, my dim bulb began to glow more brightly. I was trying to fit a Schaefer converter into a Schmidt nib feed. Duh!! Hopefully my embarrassment will be of value to other members here. BTW Schmidt converters are on my shopping list.

Ric

Ink Pumps

So...Ladies & Gentlemen by listening to the comments listed here regarding "ink Pumps" I keep hearing stories about how this doesn't fit that pen & you have to use this pump with this pen only. I thought I could purchase some of P.S.I.'s "Premium Fountain Pen Pumps" & my problems would be over. Now after a bit of research I have to ask are they really worth it?
I keep thinking a person might be better off just buying a bunch of cartridges & then if they want, to just fill them up themselves with a syringe....Please prove me wrong......:confused:

More4dan

I've had similar issues with Schmidt converters not fitting into Junior Anthonys. The Schmidt converter has a metal band on it that will not pass through the threads that the section screws in to. I've wound up having to use converters that do not have the metal band.

I know it's a Old thread but the Schmidt K2 converter fits the Jr Anthony pen kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom