Ink Inserts . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

I was wanting to get some input from those who routinely sell at craft shows or through shops about their ink inserts. Does anyone change the ink inserts that come with the kits (Barons, Statesmen, etc.)to a better quality insert before selling them, or are the "stock" inserts good enough?

The reason I ask is I have replaced some of the inserts in my daily writers, and have found I like the quality and feel better than what came with the kit.

Any comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I use the ones that come with the kits. I like the 'stock' parker refills better than any brand name that I've tried. For rollerballs, I find the Schmidt (as supplied in CS kits) to be very good. The Hauser (in Berea kits) is acceptable. I've also tried and liked rollerballs from Sailor, Shaeffer, and Cross. I do not like the office depot brand.

alamocdc

I also use the supplied refills. I've only had one complaint and I offered a free replacement. I prefer Schmidt brand refills for eveything but Parker gels (they no longer make them). Charles at Woodchipshome.com has Schmidt refills on his web site. For Parker gels, I just order them from Woodturningz.

Dario

I too prefer Schmidt RB over Hauser but use the ones that come with the kits and give an extra Schmidt refill.

For Parker types, I prefer Gel but they are not cheap [V]. Same as with RB, It try give each customer an extra refill.

All my refill are Schmidt and bought from Charles (Tangboy5000) except for the gel which are from CSUSA.

JimGo

I supply the standard refill for most of the kits, but give the customer the option of buying a Montblanc refill if they want. I also recommend the Montblanc refills when asked. The refills that come with the Emperor/Jr. Emperor and other high-end CSUSA kits are the first that I've really seen that come close to the Montblanc as far as quality. But I'm a lefty, and lefties have "issues" with writing with just about any implement, so YMMV.

JimQ

I have had people ask me if there is a better refill available for Montblanc pens because they don't like the ones that come with them. They think I am an expert on all pens since I make them. [;)]

JimQ

Tea Clipper

I use the stock rollerball and ballpoint refills but when they run out, I'd replace them with Schmidt. I don't care for the fountain pen ink that comes with berea kits, so I'll toss them and replace it with Private Reserve. I'm not sure if I like CSU ink or not, it's been too long....

bonefish

JimGo:

A few years ago, I purchased some Montblanc rollerfills. The reason was that I wanted to make pens with the highest parts available, and I thought the Montblanc inserts would fit that requirment.

I paid about $5.00 apiece for the things, and I used the first one in a pen I made to carry. It didn't last any time at all. Whether it ran out of ink or the ink dried up, I don't know.

I tried another one, and it did the same thing. I guess I got two months use out of both of them.

I tried many different ones that I could purchase at office supply stores, and the one that writes the smoothest (for me) and lasts the longest (for me) is the G2 by Pilot. It is also one of the cheapest, less than $2.00 for a pack of two.

Supplied inserts write okay, but they either dry out or run out. They don't last very long, say two months, but I can get at least a year out of the G2.

I still have the two Montblancs. Want a bargin on two slightly used Montblanc refills?[:D]

JimQ:
To answer your question, yes there is. The Pilot G2.

Before anyone asks, I don't have any interest in the Pilot company. But after thinking about about it, maybe a Pilot excutive will read this and give me a call.[;)]

Bonefish

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JimQ
<br />I have had people ask me if there is a better refill available for Montblanc pens because they don't like the ones that come with them. They think I am an expert on all pens since I make them. [;)]

JimQ

At this point, you are 2/3 of the way to a sale!!!

Now, prepare an answer that ends in, "Which of these pens did you find most comfortable to start improving your writing experience???"

Then, remember to count your money only AFTER they leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom