Ink Ball Point Quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cousin Eddie

Forgive me if this is has been covered numerous times. I'm unable to use the search forum feature on my tablet as the keyboard disappears and I cannot type anything.

I've finished a few pens, slimlines and summits from Rockler and Woodcraft. Is it just me or do others think the quality of the actual ball point ink inserts really suck? I make a great looking pen that writes horribly.

Are you ordering replacements and just chucking what comes with the kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

No, it is not just you.

Most penturners who sell their pens chuck the kit refills and replace them with quality refills

KenV

John, I am not especially impressed with any of the Cross style refills. Monteverde are perhaps better but nothing impressive

Parker style refills are a different experience level with Schmidt 9000 or the Private Reserve made by schmidt being very good. Some of the gel inks do quite well also. For outside use the Fisher refills work in all weather. I provide a Schmidt 9000 refill with every pen that uses a Parker refill.

I do no make lots of pens with Cross style refills for that reason.

Last edited:

TonyL

I give them away for free. However, that doesn't mean they don't suit the needs of many or that some actually prefer them. Among the thin Cross type...I don't like any including the premium makes and models.

Unless a client asks, I only make Parker-style BPs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom