Injured myself kicking my own butt!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

U-Turn

Was going to get ahead and pre drill several blanks while I was at it - well, I drilled some with 27/64 instead of the required 10mm and ralized it just as the last one was drilled. Never did that - and better not ever again - and don't know how to fix it. Thought I would use thick CA and give it plenty of time but was afraid that the tube my be off center. Is there a full moon or is it because I had another birthday??? I fell like a hairball in the drainpipe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

You could make sierras instead? Or to fill the space you could use sierra tubes and then glue the 10mm in those.

U-Turn

These were supposed to be cigar pens and I was drilling Wall Street II. Will try the bit with double tubes - thanks.

Drstrangefart

Turn a piece of scrap the size of the hole, glue it in the existing hole and redrill.

Better than my idea. I was gonna say you probably could use a ton of thick CA, then flood the gap with thin/medium. As long as the ends aren't hanging out, your only major issue (if it's an issue for you) is that the grain of the wood probably won't be perfectly aligned once turned down. Should otherwise turn to size without any major issues.

PenMan1

This is one of the very few times I would recommend Gorilla Glue. The foaming action does not impress me with it's structural integrity, but the foam expansion will fill in the gap and help to center the tube.

Otherwise, you may want to follow the previous suggestion of converting the blank to Sierra, Berea Elegant Beauty Sierra, Gatsby, etc.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Epoxy works perfect. I recently glued cigar tubes into constant's fireman sierra blank. I used 5 min epoxy. It turned out perfect.

PenMan1

Hans is right on a cigar there should be plenty of meat left on the tube.

Try one with polyurethane glue and see how it goes.... remember to moisten with PU glue.

fireangels

I did that once I was able to save them by using heat shrink tubing placed over the cigar tube to cover the void...turned out well for an oops that almost cost me
I picked up the heat shrink tubing at home depot in the electrical section for $2.00

hewunch

If you try it, you will find that a 10mm tube slides just inside a sierra tube. So I say sacrifice a tube and give it a shot! :biggrin:

RonRoss

HAHA!!! tons of CA, and for the Cost of that VS the Cost of a new Blank, that idea would be best rethought. :)

Turn a piece of scrap the size of the hole, glue it in the existing hole and redrill.

Better than my idea. I was gonna say you probably could use a ton of thick CA, then flood the gap with thin/medium. As long as the ends aren't hanging out, your only major issue (if it's an issue for you) is that the grain of the wood probably won't be perfectly aligned once turned down. Should otherwise turn to size without any major issues.

jttheclockman

What makes this blank that special that you need to go through all that work to save it??? Is it just a wood blank or a special blank. If it is something special do as some have suggested but if it is an ordinary blank move on and either use it for a larger kit or toss it and start over and learn from the mistake. Not all blanks are worth saving. Just my 2¢

U-Turn

Blanks are inlay and somewhat expensive so I did not want to just chuck them. Had it been wood I would have just started over.

Grott

OOPS!

Sounds like an reason to try out pressure casting, or regular casting and re-drill. (just an excuse to buy some cool stuff, I think a gallon of resin would do it).:biggrin:

srf1114

If you do any of your own casting, can you just fill the holes with PR, let them set and then re-drill them? not sure if this will rack the blanks or not if the PR expands though.

Top Bottom