Information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lpconley

Being a newbie, what do the completed pen kits sell for with a good piece of wood being used. I have started to make them and use them at work and have several people that I work with that are interested in buying them. Just trying to get a rough idea of what I should be asking. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Exabian

Be prepared for 101 answers to this Question. What I do is take what it cost me to make it and multiply it be 3, but ultimately it all depends on your market. To some people a 40 dollar pen just doesn't make sense, but to others it perfect or just too cheep. So basically your going to have to feel out your buyers.

A simple question that is unquestionably the hardest to answer. Like those that have already stated, you will get many answers.

So what I use to do was take the price of the kit, the price of blank an average of all materials, ie sandpaper, finish. cost of electricity, and then an average of what I feel my time is worth. I then analyze the market I plan on selling to...
I found that was too much work I boiled it down to price of the kit, the price of the blank then multiply it by 10. Saves time in calculations

ironman123

I don't think Kit and blank cost X 10 would sell very good in my area for some pens. Goes to show...Depends on where you go.

Ray

cal91666

Another one that failed the "Search" function test. Sell it for what you can get for it.

lpconley

Photos: 0

Jim Burr

Photos: 0

:at-wits-end:

I must ask, after seeing this happen more than once, is this an appropriate greeting for a new member? Maybe this new member is not forum savy and is unaware that a search function exists. Maybe rather than an instant flame from a veteran of this forum "Join Date: Feb 2010" "Posts: 2,048" you could welcome this new member and graciously direct them to the search function and maybe even suggest some keywords that would help them in their search. Maybe, since you took the time to respond to this thread, you could even link a few previous conversations on this topic.

After reviewing the Terms of Service Terms of Service - International Association of Penturners I can't find anywhere that it states that before asking a question you must first perform a search to ensure that it hasn't been previously discussed.

Sorry everyone but I needed to get that off of my chest.

lpconley my apologies that I have distracted from your question.

lpconley WELCOME to IAP!!!

Along with the answers you have received above there is a search function in the toolbar just below the welcome banner that is a terrific resource. However, if you return to this forum after reading this, don't hesitate to continue to ask questions. I'm not a veteran of this forum but I do know my way around and would be happy to assist you in any way possible.

Last edited:

SteveG

Aloha Ipconley, I hope you will enjoy IAP, gain from it and in a while be contributing to the fun and what is a near unlimited knowledge base for us pen turners. To help a bit in your price setting, you may benefit from considering your context. This would include (but by far is not limited to) what you offer and what does your customer think of you.
What you offer: What grade or level of kit, and what variety do you have? Consider the type and cost of barrel materials (common, expensive, vintage, very rare,etc.). How well does your skill level translate into you producing a top notch pen?Do you incorporate unique design elements. Do you have a professional display ready for "show time", or a few similar pens in a small case?

What does your customer think of you: Do you come across as a newbie hobbyist or a knowledgeable pen maker and seller? Does your typical potential customer consider $30 for a pen a crazy high price, or would they grab at a $200 pen on a whim? How much of a 'Natural' are you at sales?

There are many more considerations like these that affect your sales prices and successes. If you are quite new at all of this you prices will tend to be lower (and, of course, ready to go higher as you get into it more, if so inclined. You can see why it is difficult to settle on what is your right price structure, but you learn by doing. One caution, is to to avoid selling yourself short. Avoid going super low to break in to the market. Go read some of the refs mentioned, and have a lot of fun along the way. Once again, welcome to IAP.

edstreet

Lets break this down into something that everyone can understand :)

Regional differences means that each reason has a unique level of income they can spend on items such as custom pens. One area may mean that level is $300, another area may mean it's $50. The question "how much does pen A with B material sell for" really should be deflected to "how do I find out what a particular area will pay for a custom pen"

wouldentu2?

If you make a few bucks on each pen you will never have to worry about spending too much time or money on this hobby.

If you want to make a lot of money on your pens you will spend too much time and money on this hobby.

lpconley

Thanks to all! I am new to this site and am still learning my way around. I will try the search function. And I guess the bottom line to my question is that "it is what the market will bear". Still, I appreciate the time spent with your answers.
Lyman

Top Bottom