Info desired.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skybiker

I recently purchased the inventory of a pen turner, over 1,000 kits. They all appear to come from a single source, "Boyce Gahagan" from Houston, who is no longer in business selling kits or blanks. About half of them are unlabeled, and there are no instructions or bushings. Does anybody have any info on kits from this supplier? Or old bushings? There's a bit of everything, pens, duck calls, bookmarks, letter openers, magnifying glasses, just stuff..... I've made one of the magnifying glasses using calipers & it turned out great, but the bushings make it a bit quicker for me. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!
I did a bit of research & Mr. Gahagan is now deceased. I've searched on the part numbers on the bags, but have come up with nothing so far.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Never heard of him. Maybe he was reseller for PSI or some other company. Maybe show us a few of the kits and we can recognize them. Saw an old ad of his and I believe he was reseller of PSI kits.

Last edited:

More4dan

Do have access to the apple app for IAP? You can search by dimensions to find matches. Once matched, most have instructions with pictures. You can search tube sizes, bushing/component dimensions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Google search for that person's name shows he was associated with the Gulf Coast Woodturners Assoc. in Houston about 13 years ago.

It would seem that those kits may be quite old.

If you could post the text from the labels on some of them we might be able to help.

Also pictures of the parts groupings out of the bags.

skybiker

I'm still trying to upload an image of one of the packages. I'm not having any luck trying to get a photo up, keep getting the message "Connection was reset, try again later".... Most of the kits have no label at all, some have a custom label by Boyce Gahagan with his name and a kit name. Most have Taiwan somewhere on the bag, The photo I'm trying to upload has a part number of 416/B-SN from the factory, it's a package of 10 kits (they have no labels), the SN seems to mean satin in this case.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm still trying to upload an image of one of the packages. I'm not having any luck trying to get a photo up, keep getting the message "Connection was reset, try again later".... Most of the kits have no label at all, some have a custom label by Boyce Gahagan with his name and a kit name. Most have Taiwan somewhere on the bag, The photo I'm trying to upload has a part number of 416/B-SN from the factory, it's a package of 10 kits (they have no labels), the SN seems to mean satin in this case.

That product number looks like a Berea number, which would also be the case if the product says Taiwan, since Berea's manufacturer is in Taiwan.

I agree a picture will certainly help, but I suspect a note to Berea may get you some info as well.

skybiker

That product number looks like a Berea number, which would also be the case if the product says Taiwan, since Berea's manufacturer is in Taiwan.

I agree a picture will certainly help, but I suspect a note to Berea may get you some info as well.

Thanks!!! That gives me a place to start!!!

skybiker

BINGO!!!!!!! Thank you Ed! I've been buying most of my supplies from Exotic Blanks, haven't tried Berea yet, that was it, I see lots of similar kits, although the ones I have now are around 10 years old by the dates on the labels.

You'll get my next order shortly!

Dave

magpens

Dave,

I am pleased to see that Ed has pointed you in the right direction and that you are making some progress.

When I saw the part number you posted I recognized the similarity to the Berea part number format but I hesitated to offer my opinion and Ed has far more experience so it is good that he replied and "put you on the right road".

Top Bottom