Inexpensive tool rest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf

I use a Delta lathe, and the original tool rest that came with it. The tool rest is too long to allow me to get in close when I'm turning pens.

I've looked at a couple of replacement tool rests, but the price has kept me from buying, so far. I have other things on my want list that are more important than a new rest.

Are there less expensive alternatives out there? Something in the six to eight inch range would be nice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdodom

Here is a link to a inexpensive tool rest made by a member http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6145, I have one and it makes the world of difference.

its_virgil

Go to one of the home centers and purchase a piece of steel rod from the hardware dept. Be sure to get the dia. that matches your Delta's tool rest hole. My jet Mini is 5/8". Find someone with a cutting torch and welder and cut a post and a top part and weld you a new tool rest in the "T" shape. Getting the welding done may be the hard part. I had the shop class at the school where I teach do it for me. Maybe you have a friend or neighbor who has a torch and welder. If you must go to a shop maybe you can find a shop whose owner would rather help someone out at a fair price than gig them with minumun charges, etc. Good luck, it is doable and probably for just the price of the steele rod.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rolf
<br />I use a Delta lathe, and the original tool rest that came with it. The tool rest is too long to allow me to get in close when I'm turning pens.

I've looked at a couple of replacement tool rests, but the price has kept me from buying, so far. I have other things on my want list that are more important than a new rest.

Are there less expensive alternatives out there? Something in the six to eight inch range would be nice.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I did the same thing that Tip mentioned using a $200 HF welder and to 5/8ths bolts ffrom lowes.
Of courese I did cut the bolts with a $57.00 HF Porta band.
I didn't pay for the welder and saw on that job but I have with the other shop stuff I "stuck" together,
If the tool rest is too long and you use it primarily for pens why not cut it a little shorer on both ends and buy a Longer tool rest if needed.( Or make one)

Randy_

I've got a new son-in-law who has a wire welder and takes care of my little welding projects now. Previously, I ran down to the local muffler shop and they would take care me and were very fair about their charges!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom