Inexpensive pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Inexpensive pens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for a list of inexpensive, good quality pen kits to choose from. I have done all about the one piece Sierra line and that will be a great seller. But I am looking for kits that are not expemsive and still make a nice pen. I was looking at the Berra line of Round Top 7mm blk Titanium, and the RT Steamline screwcap Platinum kits to give an example.

Are these good kits and what are some others and where is a good place to get them??? Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Maybe you should define what you mean by inexpensive before we get into this too far You can purchase a Sierra for $6 and you can pay nearly $20 for one so it is not clear exactly what you are looking for?

jttheclockman

OK. I am looking for kits that are good quality and have good platings. I am looking for 2 piece pen kits not the Sierra type with the one piece. I am not talking $20 kits. More on the lines of $6-$12. Looking for kits that are not hard to assemble and the trannys are decent. Not looking for any Slimline series no matter who makes them. I gave a couple examples I started looking at in my opening statement but I am not sure of their quality and platings.

Russianwolf

the round top streamline fountain pens should be avoided. I love the look of the kit but the nib quality is junk and the threads are metal to metal. They simply aren't worth it.

Best cheap kits that I do are:

Chrome slim from AZ $2
Chrome Cigar from AZ $4
Two tone Cigar from woodpenpro $6ish (Platinum or Gold Ti with Black Chrome)
Two tone Chrome/Black Ti Pacifica from Woodpenpro $7ish
Chrome Baron/Sedona from AZ $10ish

Then I get into the Platinum and Titaniums that run a bit more, and go into the CSUSA kits.

Pen Maker

Monty, who or what is 'the perfect fit' don't say fred and ginger! Even with a hobbly laig, I'll chase ya down.

jttheclockman

Monty, that does look like a very nice kit indeed. I like the center band. Are there any worries about this kit???? Like parts spinning or falling off??? I am also going to get some Barrons. Did not think of that one.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Monty, that does look like a very nice kit indeed. I like the center band. Are there any worries about this kit???? Like parts spinning or falling off??? I am also going to get some Barrons. Did not think of that one.

John,

I like the Perfect Fit as well. You do have to cut a tenon for the centerband, and it is important to be careful of the size of the lower blank at the centerband to avoid binding. I have heard a few people say they don't like the transmission on the PF, but I do.

I almost forgot. The center band usually fits quite nicely. I occasionally choose to add a tiny touch of thin CA if the fit is not tight enough.

The Streamline is also a nice kit for the money. It has a bit more contour than the Slim line kit. It also can ben made in a roundtop version that looks a bit more "dressy" in my opinion.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_56

FWIW,

jttheclockman

Cav

Does the streamline use the same tranny as the slimlines??? I am not happy with the trannys in any of the slimlines. Had too much problems with them.

Rudy Vey

Perfect Fit here also, great pen! Tranny is one of the best on the market and is also used in other better ball point pens, like the Gent Jr or El Grande.
Its a Schmidt and allows you to exchange the ball point refill for a pencil refill, voila, you have a pencil. No need to make special pencils, just change the refill. Sold a handfull of the pencils last year.

jttheclockman

Rudy

Thanks. Always good to read your comments because I have seen the quality of your work and I know you will only sell the top quality stuff so it is another vote for the Perfect Fit kit. Will give them a try.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Cav

Does the streamline use the same tranny as the slimlines??? I am not happy with the trannys in any of the slimlines. Had too much problems with them.

John,

Yes it does. I am puzzled by your problems with the slim line transmissions. I have had almost no problems with them in 5 years of turning. I get mine just about exclusively from Ernie, and they work for me.

Top Bottom