Individual Designed Wood Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

Is it propper to ask those of you who create their own custom wood blanks to share their ideas? I am in the process of setting up a new small scale portable photo studio to post my turnings, but also plan to post the blanks, unless this is against protocol, and obvious, it is also to get new ideas as well. At this point, I seem to be makiing more blanks than finished pens.
Thanks, and forgive me if this out of line.
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

You can ask, but some won't tell and a lot will. There are a lot of good ideas in the library already. I say, post what you have and some will share what they have. I'm always looking for new ways to learn myself.

jimm1

Thanks Rob. When I get back from the beautiful sunny, hot climate of New Jersey over Christmas Break, I plan to dive into this posting thing. I looked at your website. Nice looking stuff. Great job.

Rudy Vey

Thanks Rob. When I get back from the beautiful sunny, hot climate of New Jersey over Christmas Break, I plan to dive into this posting thing. I looked at your website. Nice looking stuff. Great job.

Jersey is right now beautiful sunny - just the "hot" is missing - this morning at 9 am when I started the car it was 15 F and with the extreme wind, we were in the minus degrees (windchill was -5, so they said).

JerryS

Bring a heavy coat with ya , it was 18 this morning . What part of NJ are you heading back to ?

leehljp

Member Liaison
You can ask, but some won't tell and a lot will. There are a lot of good ideas in the library already. I say, post what you have and some will share what they have. I'm always looking for new ways to learn myself.

As Rob said, some won't tell.

The Following Paragraph was EDITED for Correction:
IN MAKING A COPY: One person used to write the following in his sig line: "Under no circumstances are any of the pictures that I upload to any forum to be copied and re published in anyway without my consent." (This is quite different from what I originally wrote but after finding the correct quote, I needed to make the changes.)

No one can stop you from "copying" in making a blank, but as for posting a picture of the copy, that 'might' run into legal disputes.

It is always polite to ask - if it is a copy. It is also polite to give credit to where the idea comes from if you take an idea and change it. That is how many of the ideas come up.

IN CREATING A COMPLEX BLANK: Again, some people will not tell you how and some will give you a detailed description. The most famous "will not tell you" person was a fellow called Eagle. Although controversial to some, he would not tell his methods at all, and even get angry at those who requested step by step instructions.

But he did not mind someone copying his creations one bit - provided they gave credit where credit was due. His anger was at people who would not try to think through a process. His motives were pure (IMO). He thought that people need to think through the process and DISCOVER. Discover and creativity go hand in hand. "Step by step" kills discovery, creativity, initiative and true learning.

Although I agree with him in his philosophy, I haven't created anything so complicated that others can't figure out. :wink:

BACK to your question: It doesn't hurt to ask, just be prepared for an occasional rejection. Some people feel that imitation is the best form of flattery. It does help to get permission and builds trust when you do it.

Last edited:

ldb2000

You live in Tennessee, and you are visiting New Jersey?? Dropped on your head at birth, I assume. :wink::biggrin::tongue::wink:

Ok Cav , now ya went and did it . Curlys MAD , and hes got pictures :eek:

1_curlyrephrase.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcav1952
You live in Tennessee, and you are visiting New Jersey?? Dropped on your head at birth, I assume.

Easy my friend....who moved from Louisiana to PA??:biggrin:

LOL!!

Rudy, my wife is from Pennsylvania. My options were to move here or I could visit on occasion. :rolleyes::redface::rolleyes:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcav1952
You live in Tennessee, and you are visiting New Jersey?? Dropped on your head at birth, I assume.

Ok Cav , now ya went and did it . Curlys MAD , and hes got pictures :eek:

1_curlyrephrase.jpg

Wow, I never saw a photo of the New Jersey State Animal before!

And now, here's a photo of the New Jersey State Flower! :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom