Indexing Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DonFaulk0517

New to turning... what is the indexing feature on some lathes? Why would you use it and when?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Say you wanted to setup a router to form equally spaced coves in a turned column.... it would lock the rotation of the lathe and allow you to equally space the cuts. Just one use.
Don't think of it as a spindle lock however !

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Indexing rings have many uses. They are attatched to a lathe headstock and while the lathe is switched off ( and preferably unplugged ) , a pin locks the ring in a chosen fixed position. This allows holes to be drilled, slots to be cut or routered etc etc.

Basic rings have 24 holes which would allow even spacing of 2,3,4,6 holes or other cuts.

Some rings get very complex and their uses is only limited by our imagination.

bgibb42

Don't think of it as a spindle lock however !

Just for some clarification, my Rikon mini lathe has a 12 stop indexing gear in the headstock that also serves dual purpose as a spindle lock. This is according to the user's manual. Allows for the installation and removal of spindle accessories such as a faceplate or chucks.

I know on my dad's mini Jet, the knockout bar is intended to be used as a tommy bar to hold the headstock steady when installing or removing spindle accessories.

Always refer to the owner's manual for the features and uses of any power tools.:)

Top Bottom