Increase blank diameter with CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I finished (so I thought) a Jr. Gent last night but when I assembled it I found that I had over turned the top end of a barrel (opposite the nib) just enough to be noticeable. I'm going to try to build it up with CA, as I have read about here in the forums. I stink at doing CA finishes, and I have never had to increase the diameter of a pen with CA. It is a polyresin blank. I'm planning to hit it with thick CA to slightly over sized, allowing it to cure for about 1/2 hour then sand it down to the correct size. I suspect it will not take much. So.....I'm seeking the advice of the experts. Does anyone have any tips of tricks to offer before I attempt this tonight?

Thanks,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

No help re increasing diameter on PR blank using CA, but could you mill just a bit from the end to get back to a large enough diameter? I mention this because when set side by side -- some of my JGIIs are shorter than the others :redface:.

rjwolfe3

I am trying something similar to that right now with a European since I didn't read the instructions completely. I will let you know how it turns out.

mbroberg

Possibly, I'll check that out. Thanks!

No help re increasing diameter on PR blank using CA, but could you mill just a bit from the end to get back to a large enough diameter? I mention this because when set side by side -- some of my JGIIs are shorter than the others :redface:.

marcruby

Make sure you lightly sand the blank before using CA. I'm not positive how well CA will adhere to resin over time but I suppose it's better than throwing out the blank.

Good Luck.

mbroberg

Marcruby - Good point. Thanks.

Skip - I had thought about that and decided to save that fix to use if I couldn't fix it with CA. Thanks!

leehljp

Member Liaison
In building up a thicker CA layer, I turn to the lowest speed I can on my lathe - about 500 RPM. I also use a piece of thin flat plastic as the applicator. Rubber gloves and the little pen part baggies over the finger are not level enough for me.

My applicator is about 3/4 in wide and two inches long and thin so that it is fairly flexible. Smooth and lightly rounded edges. This lets me put a thick layer of CA on and smooth as needed. Once applied, I keep it turning and watch it for two or three minutes to make sure that it is not sagging, puddling or banding into rings. If it does start, I touch it lightly with the applicator to keep it smooth.

Often I use the hair dryer located about 12 inches away. HINT - if using the air dryer: make sure the lathe ways are clean - or dust/ribbons will fly up onto the freshly applied CA!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I put it in a ResinSaver mold and re-cast it in PR. (not answering to plug my
own molds, but .. I'm plugging my own molds.)
It works well, and then I don't have to worry about a CA finish at all.

Thanks to Wolftat for that idea..

leehljp

Member Liaison
I put it in a ResinSaver mold and re-cast it in PR. (not answering to plug my
own molds, but .. I'm plugging my own molds.)
It works well, and then I don't have to worry about a CA finish at all.

Thanks to Wolftat for that idea..

I have some molds that I got from you last May - that I fully intend to use this very way. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to do this. It is my plan to do it though!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I overturned a gorgeous pheasant feather blank from John Underhill and I was
pretty upset about it. At the bottom of the blank, I turned through a small bit
of the feather (old bushings, bad eyesight) and I was crushed.. it was a beautiful
blank. Took me a day to remember that I could fix that! (duh? ) I re-cast it
and have a great pen. Yay me! :tongue:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I've made an entire pen out of nothing but CA and inclusions. So you can definitely use CA to build up the thickness of a pen. And I've used CA to put an improved shine on acrylic pens so it *should* work well.

Good luck!

mtgrizzly52

I've had to build up the two circuit board pens I've done so far, due to an overaggressive nut behind the skew! All I did was get a puddle of thick CA on a paper towel, similar to how I do a CA finish, apply it to the blank as it's turning, moving the towel back and forth over it rapidly to insure no ridges. (oh yes, used 600 grit sandpaper on the messed up blank before the first coat of CA and each subsequent one with the exception of the last coat.) I usually do at least 3 coats of CA. I found out...DON"T USE ACCELERATOR unless you are going to let the blank set for a few hours. It didn't cure right and I had to start over again. After you're done, you can turn it just like when you started the project.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

mbroberg

I really appreciate all of the input. As it turned out went with the "Opps bands" but the information gained is always appreciated. Thanks!

Top Bottom