Improving "gripability"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KP

Folks - Like many, my fingers get pretty tired after hours of writing at work, so I'm wondering what different things have been tried, and what's worked best, to improve the grip on the turned portion of their pens.

I have at times resorted to the black rubber grips, but don't like the looks.

So - burn rings? How many, what width? Profiles, such as small beads, or a cove? I vaguely remember a mention of the use of rubber O-rings for this purpose, anyone use that? Other techniques?

I am about to try one of those new, long click pens for a new work pen, and thought I'd like to try something to make it as easy to grip as the cheap comfort pens I have in desperation used lately...[V] Thanks -

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I have batted around the idea of making a "comfort ergonomic style" grip on some of the fatter pens like a cigar.

In theory it should be easy. Turn the pen as usual, but make the nib part (where you'd hold the pen) a good bit fatter than normal, like a huge bead. Turn the very edge of the bead down to the bushing for a good fit.

Now, take this blank with the big bead over to a drum/spindle sander and sand three concave sides to the bead-- a sorta "deflated triangle" shape to the barrel, gripping it occasionally for a good fit.

This would be a good candidate for a spray lacquer finish, I don't think I'd want to try a CA finish on it.

YoYoSpin

These styles have worked well for me:

pen112b.jpg

pen107a.jpg

pen115b.jpg

pen122b.jpg

MyResin73a.jpg

Pernambuco.jpg

spiral_2.jpg

KP

Ed, those pen profiles are amazing. Especially that slimline - it is just a beautiful pen. I guess I don't really need an awesome blank to make a great pen. Thanks for posting them.

Sfolivier

A very different approach is to use something that writes "better" than a basic ballpoint, such as a fountain pen, they are a lot less tiring that ballpoints. Gel refills also reduce the pressure required for writing and might improve fatigue.

Last but not least, as I went to buy Pentel "mechanisms" at Office Depot tonight, I came across this item which might help you. I was originally looking for cheap comfort pens as a source of silicon sleeves. I think this could be cheaper and more fun:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/206448/Pencil-Pillows-Assorted-Colors-Pack-Of/

I haven't tried them yet but it should be pretty easy to adapt them to some ballpoints kits.

terrymiller

I cant find the picture right now but for a while I was playing around with EVA the foam used for fishing rod handles. It works pretty good and can be turned to whatever shape you want. I would use this like the comfort grip style only turn it to the way I wanted it to look like.

bjackman

I use the back side of my calipers (the part used to measure ID) set to a specific width to mark where I will make the grooves. I use my 1/16" parting tool on it's side to carefully make the grooves. It adds significantly to the ease of gripping the pen while not overwhelming the general look of the pen. CSU makes a tool to do the same thing in one shot. Maybe one day I'll have that tool, but for now my parting tool works just fine.

200842335458_beb%20magenta%20slimline.jpg

Top Bottom