Improved techniques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PMisiaszek

This past winter, I had a lot of time on my hands to turn pens. I am not an "expert turner" by any stretch of the imagination, but I do turn regularly. In an effort to improve my techniques and the end result of better pens, using information from this forum I bought and tested several items new to me. Three of those stand out. First, I bought the stuff I needed from Johnny CNC to drill on the lathe and turn between centers. With the threads from this forum, there was no learning curve to either drilling on the lathe or turning between centers, and both the process and end result were obvious. Second, I bought a Woodchuck PenPro. I bought it to turn TruStone, but have also used it for wood blanks. It is a very easy tools to use and I can't imagine anything better for turning pens. I wish I had found this tool when I started turning pens. It would turn a rank beginner into a pro. It hogs off curls fast, and with a light touch, it eliminates most sanding. Finally, from Wolftat, I bought some Abranet for pre-MM sanding. I haven't touched sandpaper since. For me, the Abranet is easier to use wet or dry and lasts me much longer than the sanding strips I used to use.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Winter projects

I am thinking that this winter I'll try a bunch of techniques picked up here...TBC; drilling on the lathe; and, perhaps some new finishing techniques. I also have a ton of new kits to turn into pens...I bought one of each pen kit that Rizheng offers so I can turn the pen myself...perhaps in the future I will carry more of the ones I like.

Top Bottom