The Importance of Sanding Sealers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I recenly did a large batch of pens, and one thing I "re-learned" was the importance of sanding sealer (I use thin CA) to producing a glossy finish. I know this is something most of you know pretty well, but I thought I'd underscore it for any new turners out there.

As we all know, wood can be seen as a series of interconnected fibers, and in between the fibers there are small holes. These are the "pores" or "openings" in the grain. If you put a finish on top of the wood without sealing the grain, the finish will stand up high on the individual fibers, but will fall down into the pores. Harkening back to highschool science class, the angle of incidence on incoming light equals the angle of reflection, which is a fancy way of saying that the light won't reflect as well off the resulting pitted surface, and your result is a matte finish. If, however, you take the time to fill the pores with a sanding sealer first, you'll get a smoother surface upon which to place your finish, and ultimately a shinier finish. Of course, after you apply your sanding sealer, you have to sand the sanding sealer off of the wood fibers (leaving it only in the pores), otherwise you have the same problem as I just described!

To enhance the efficacy of the sanding sealer, some here use a sanding "slurry" technique, in which the sanding sealer is applied at the same time some sandpaper is being applied to the blank. This creates a slurry, or thick liquid, that contains both the sanding sealer and some sanding dust. This thick, dusty liquid can help fill the open grain and leave a more natural appearance than just sanding sealer on its own. One thing I noticed is that even after applying a few coats of sanding sealer and sanding them down, you might have a surface you THINK is flat, only to find some smaller pits when you move to the higher grit sandpapers. I found that to achieve a high-gloss finish, multiple coats of sanding sealer should be applied, preferably at different grits</u>. It's been a while since I read Fangar's description of how he does his finishes, but I think that's what he said many months ago, and I probably could have saved myself a few hours of work had I just gone back and re-read his thread. And, in fact, I think Russ Fairfield may have said something like this too...but I can be a little dense at times.

Any way, I wanted to pass this along for those who are still struggling to get a high-gloss finish. If, on the otherhand, you prefer a more matte finish, skipping some or all of the sanding sealer steps can produce a really nice matte or semi-gloss finish.

I also had a question for DBRISKI. In another thread, you mentioned:
...What I usually do is rough it, bring it within a hair of finished sized, take it off the lathe, soak it in thin CA, let that dry completely. Put it back on the lathe, sand off the extra CA, put on a couple coats of thick CA (and BLO if you wish) to fill the pores, sand down to finish size and finish as you prefer.

That's a GREAT idea, and would probably have saved me a lot of time with some Wenge with which I struggled over the weekend. How do you keep the glue out of the tubes during the soaking?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Jim,

What I do is cut it to almost the final dimension, clean, then apply thin CA (note no sanding yet) letting it soak in all the pores then cut with skew and sand. If there are still some open pores, I repeat the process before applying my final finish.

dbriski

I don't do anything to keep the CA out of the tubes, but I don't dunk the blanks, I put them on some plastic cutting board (the CA doesnt stick to it) and squirt the Thin CA all over the blank, after the first one there is usually enough waste on the cutting board to just roll the other blank in it to soak up the CA.

I have also done the 400 grit thing, CA as a sealer and that works great too, I have found it does mute the grain just a little bit, but I may not be sanding it down enough afterwords. I used the sanding CA technique on wenge, and soaking on Leapordwood and amboyna (for stability).

Skye

Here's my take on why they're important. Was going to draw this up a while back so new people would understand. I know it didnt seem logical to me at first...

pores.jpg

JimGo

Thanks Skye, that's a GREAT illustration of what I was trying to say.

The only caveat I would add is that in the "now sand it all off" step, be careful not to sand TOO far, or you may open up new pores.

Skye

Lol, you never know I guess. I'll hit it with a change in a few...

Crap, maybe not, I dumped the vector file. I'll try and change the raster image...

Tea Clipper

Great explanation Jim, and visual aide Skye!
After seeing Syke's visual aide, I think I will go buy some stock in a CA company!
Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer, Enduro's Sanding Sealer, and many other fine products are alternatives to using CA as a sealer.

JimGo

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Jim,

What I do is cut it to almost the final dimension, clean, then apply thin CA (note no sanding yet) letting it soak in all the pores then cut with skew and sand. If there are still some open pores, I repeat the process before applying my final finish.

Sorry Dario...didn't mean to ignore your comments. That's close to what I settled upon as well.

TBone

Thanks Jim, Skye (Syke [8D]) and others. This is a great illustration and explanation. I can see my finishes getting better already.

Skye, I see a sanding line in your illustration [:D][:D]

cozee

By the chart, 7 steps!!!. That sure sounds like a lot of extra and unnecessary work. My "sealer" coat is usually my first coat of CA. Medium or thick, with the surface itself dictating which. After that it is two more coats of thick CA, sanding between coats. Buff and polish. I promise you, when completed, it is as smooth as glass. Finishing a pen out is no different than finishing out a custom paint job on a car or bike. Wood has pores, paint has scratches, and they both need to be smoothed out. I can see the need for a sealer coat as described above if one isn't going to use a layered finish which gets sanded between coats, such as CA or lacquer.

Oh well, to each thier own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom