I'm Stuck, Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally did it!
I'm making some PSI Longwoods, which have a center bushing with a tenon on one end, that is inserted into a blank end that has no tube in it, on that end.
I thought I saw a tiny crack on the other end of the blank at the end of turning so I applied some thin CA to seal it. Reckon some of the CA found it's way down to the other end and I can't get the *&^%$ bushing out so I can asemble the pen. I've pulled twisted and cussed a wee bit, dabbed some acetone into the sick end hoping to dissolve the CA bond, but no luck.
I'm ready to break the blank off the bushing, unless there's help to be had here.
TIA,
ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Ken,
I looked at the Penn State page as I hadn't made any of these.

Sounds like the center Bushing, Sometimes CA is really quite effective. Acetone needs time to work, small container, some Acetone, let end soak, wouldn't hurt to dribble some down the tube while it was soaking.

Few minutes of soaking should allow removal...

Waxing the bushings helps...[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Douse a q-tip in acetone and apply it directly at the point where the bushing is stuck. Add more acetone until it comes free. It will eventually.

G

Grab the D*mn bushing with a pair of pliers and twist.
That will break it free.
I do it all the time.

Gary

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Grab the D*mn bushing with a pair of pliers and twist.
That will break it free.
I do it all the time.

I use the same technique. It works every time.

ldimick

Me too - sort of. Sometimes I try to twist with the pliers and sometimes I have to line the pliers up perpendicularly and wiggle the end back and forth. Seems to do less damage to the bushing.

G

Originally posted by ldimick
<br />Me too - sort of. Sometimes I try to twist with the pliers and sometimes I have to line the pliers up perpendicularly and wiggle the end back and forth. Seems to do less damage to the bushing.

About your signature.
unlike kids, I'll make another.
like a used car sales manager once told me,
don't fall in love with it...
sell it!

Thanks for the suggestions. This was tough due to having the metal tenon CA'ed inside the wood, I guess. I had soaked it in fingernail polish remover for a couple of hours last night, but still couldn't twist it off with channel locks. I let it soak overnight, still won't come out.
I measured the dia. of the blank and drilled a slightly smaller hole in one of those big wooden duckbill type clamps, clamped the blank into that clamped that clamp down to a workbench and got to work with the channel locks again. FINALLY!! it broke loose. The tenon had a thin layer of wood around it, but I saved the blank.
Thanks again guys.
ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom