I'm in need of some decent pen kits.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

I'm getting ready for a show and I was thinking about preparing some large pens (Emperor, Majestic, Imperial, etc.) although I must admit the recent discussion on "Emperor pens are they really worth it" has made me wonder what kits I should be buying and from whom I should purchase these kits.

So, please tell me where can I find large pen kits, and from whom should I be purchasing all of my other kits?

DRAT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Exoticblanks.com is certainly a great choice. Also, check out Beartoothwoods.com.

smokinghole

I made a full size Statesman FP from Exotic Blanks recently. Very satisfied with service and quality. I have also been impressed with the service from PSI. I had a blank that I order from them explode on the drill press and they express mailed me a replacement. Have since ordered several more blanks there.

Tom T

To be fair there are several good places from people on this site to buy from. All the service and quality has been very, very, good. My intention was not to slight others. Just comment on the good service.

Russianwolf

The Churchill is a nice large pen without the heavy weight of some of the others, and not as flashy. If you want your blank to speak volumes, its a nice one.

The Gent's don't have the cast portions that the other higher end kits have, so fewer concerns in that department.

There are many good vendors here. ExoticBlanks, ClassicNib, CSUSA, and many others I'm sure. You may have to buy from a couple sources as I don't think anyone sells all the nicer kits in one place.

If you want the best (at least what I consider the best now), Lazerlines and Marksman. No plating to wear off.

Last edited:

fernhills

Go ahead an order the Emperor if you want, just don`t sell it for $18,000.00, thats all. They are very nice pens. Your self or a customer will have a fine looking writing instrument for about the cost of a stylish pair of sunglasses, that are sold for a few hundred. Carl

jttheclockman

Timberbits sells some very fine kits with very good platings. Don't let the scuttlebut about the bullet pen deter you. Dave is a great person to deal with. I really like the Roman Harvest kit. He also has a very nice Cambridge kit for very decent money. Put a better blank on these kits and you have yourself a $200 pen for sure.

Jim Burr

Banned
To be fair there are several good places from people on this site to buy from. All the service and quality has been very, very, good. My intention was not to slight others. Just comment on the good service.

Absolutely!! Exotic, Beartooth, Nib, Smitty, CSUSA, even the dreaded PSI. There are so many!! I really do try to keep it "in the family" and have never had a bad transaction. I've been a loyal CSUSA customer for 10 years and will continue until you take my pen from my cold dead hand :wink:. Spread it around and see what you think!

ugrad

Timberbits sells some very fine kits with very good platings. Don't let the scuttlebut about the bullet pen deter you. Dave is a great person to deal with. I really like the Roman Harvest kit. He also has a very nice Cambridge kit for very decent money. Put a better blank on these kits and you have yourself a $200 pen for sure.

I can't see a Cambridge kit at Timberbits, does it go under another name?

regards
Peter

kyaggie

Check out the USA made Liberty (single barrel Parker ballpoint) and Desire (two barrel rollerball or fountain) from lazerlinz.com. They are great pens, very sturdy feeling and solid stainless so you don't have to worry about plating problems. They are also available from Woodcraft (the Desire is called a Hancock at Woodcraft).

Mike

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Check out the USA made Liberty (single barrel Parker ballpoint) and Desire (two barrel rollerball or fountain) from lazerlinz.com. They are great pens, very sturdy feeling and solid stainless so you don't have to worry about plating problems. They are also available from Woodcraft (the Desire is called a Hancock at Woodcraft).

Mike
If he has any left Lazerlinez has a great sale going on - at least I think it's still on. With a great price on the Liberty.

kyaggie

If he has any left Lazerlinez has a great sale going on - at least I think it's still on. With a great price on the Liberty.

Yep, if you ordered enough to get the max discount, ~$9.50 for a Liberty was a deal that I couldn't pass up, especially since it's such a great USA made kit!

Mike

edstreet

There service is the best ever. Never ordered emperors from them. But everything I have ordered has been great.

Try Exoticblanks.com. They have a great selection and awesome service. Plus, you get at least one freebie per order! :biggrin: Just another satisfied customer.

When evaluating vendors you need to look at the biggest issue, which is when you throw a curved ball (i.e. the emperor kits are they really worth it thread) how well do they adapt, attempt to understand the issue and the like.

The Churchill is a nice large pen without the heavy weight of some of the others, and not as flashy. If you want your blank to speak volumes, its a nice one.

The Gent's don't have the cast portions that the other higher end kits have, so fewer concerns in that department.

There are many good vendors here. ExoticBlanks, ClassicNib, CSUSA, and many others I'm sure. You may have to buy from a couple sources as I don't think anyone sells all the nicer kits in one place.

If you want the best (at least what I consider the best now), Lazerlines and Marksman. No plating to wear off.

'no plating to wear off' er? Now speak of the staining and color shift over time. I will have to look at the items better.

Churchill last I looked at one on this line they were heavy plastic usage and they looked cheaply made.

Gents having cast problem. Hmm there is a serious lack of detail on the gent which is fine and all for some things but to compare a gent to an emperor or imperial is very wrong as one has heavy casting details and the other is not cast.

DRAT said:
So, please tell me where can I find large pen kits, and from whom should I be purchasing all of my other kits?
First question you need to ask yourself ...

"what is quality"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There service is the best ever. Never ordered emperors from them. But everything I have ordered has been great.

Try Exoticblanks.com. They have a great selection and awesome service. Plus, you get at least one freebie per order! :biggrin: Just another satisfied customer.

When evaluating vendors you need to look at the biggest issue, which is when you throw a curved ball (i.e. the emperor kits are they really worth it thread) how well do they adapt, attempt to understand the issue and the like.

'no plating to wear off' er? Now speak of the staining and color shift over time. I will have to look at the items better.

Churchill last I looked at one on this line they were heavy plastic usage and they looked cheaply made.

Gents having cast problem. Hmm there is a serious lack of detail on the gent which is fine and all for some things but to compare a gent to an emperor or imperial is very wrong as one has heavy casting details and the other is not cast.

DRAT said:
First question you need to ask yourself ...

"what is quality"
In manufacturing - conformance to specification - it doesn't matter how much it costs it matters how well it meets it's specification.

Here, essentially "quality" has no definition and everyone considers that quality means whatever they want it to mean at the moment. One breath it might mean added features, the next it migh refer to plating thickness, the next it could be price and the following it might mean fit and finish. I've tried many times to get us all on the same page when we say something is high quality but it is a losing battle.

Top Bottom