I'm a millefiori murderer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

As the father of two girls I am often reminded to make more female friendly projects. I thought I'd order some millefiori cane and have a go at some pens.

It seemed like such a good idea.
headinhand.gif

Here lies what was once a beautiful piece of millefiori art. The first attempt was a Wall Street II and I apparently made the underlying layer too thick, so as I got down to size the flowers went bye bye.

Here is the last known photo of victim number 1:

E2BDC887-F488-4A31-B91C-5F43C4CDCF37-2249-0000041C68F11221.jpg

Learning from my first attempt, I slapped on some bushing for a Wall Street III. While patting myself on the back, I sanded down victim number 2. Afew chunks of clay decided they no longer wanted to remain attached as threw themselves into the vacuum hose.

796B1AD5-A94E-421B-AB78-6A2A5B558500-2249-0000041CB5A4AA11.jpg

I may not have baked them long enough? Also, the flowers themselves became distorted after rolling the blank. I guess this is going to take some more practice.
doh-1.gif

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

I've had plenty of blanks commit suicide, just don't let yourself get emotionally involved.:biggrin:

No problems here. I'm like the Dexter of blanks.

When they came out of the oven my wife said "Those came out great!"

I'm pretty sure that's what did me in.

eliasbboy

What color is your base coat?

The first one I tried, which is actually the second picture, was purple.

The second one I used a glittery/metallic white thing. I bought a sampler pack of polymer clay with 24 colors so I thought I'd just experiment.

Hey that is a great first attempt! I like these blanks especially if you can make them yourself! To purchase one all made would not be my cup of tea! The only thing we do to make a pen our own is to add the hardware set to something that is beautiful and I would just as soon make that something that came from me not someone else! This is a great try don't get discouraged keep trying until you decide I just don't like this or you get that really awesome creation that you can call your own! My personal opinion is that you did great for your first try and you will do even better on the next.

You can save this blank if you take your parting tool and do a clean part right to the tube, then take a nice piece of wood and made a ring that will fit the spot you just parted off. Make it a bit longer than you need. Do this on the lathe so you get a nice straight cut. Now set your blank into your mandrel with the bushing on the piece away from the part you cut out. Now set the ring you made over the mandrel and the tenon you cut. Put the other bushing in and use it as a clamp. Look things over really well and make sure you have a very clean fit. If you like it then loosen the mandrel nut and remove the second bushing and your patch. Put some CA on the tube and replace all, make sure the CA gets between the old blank and the patch and tighten the mandrel nut back up to use it as a clamp. If you want to get a little fancy you could put an aluminum or brass ring between the patch and the blank! Let it setup and you can then turn it down and save your work! I have done this many times including by design but it really saves you when this happens. It is also fun to do! Hope this helps!

eliasbboy

Hey that is a great first attempt! I like these blanks especially if you can make them yourself! To purchase one all made would not be my cup of tea! The only thing we do to make a pen our own is to add the hardware set to something that is beautiful and I would just as soon make that something that came from me not someone else! This is a great try don't get discouraged keep trying until you decide I just don't like this or you get that really awesome creation that you can call your own! My personal opinion is that you did great for your first try and you will do even better on the next.

You can save this blank if you take your parting tool and do a clean part right to the tube, then take a nice piece of wood and made a ring that will fit the spot you just parted off. Make it a bit longer than you need. Do this on the lathe so you get a nice straight cut. Now set your blank into your mandrel with the bushing on the piece away from the part you cut out. Now set the ring you made over the mandrel and the tenon you cut. Put the other bushing in and use it as a clamp. Look things over really well and make sure you have a very clean fit. If you like it then loosen the mandrel nut and remove the second bushing and your patch. Put some CA on the tube and replace all, make sure the CA gets between the old blank and the patch and tighten the mandrel nut back up to use it as a clamp. If you want to get a little fancy you could put an aluminum or brass ring between the patch and the blank! Let it setup and you can then turn it down and save your work! I have done this many times including by design but it really saves you when this happens. It is also fun to do! Hope this helps!

That is a GREAT idea! I never would have thought of that. I will absolutely try this. Thanks SO much!

eliasbboy

Is the a tutorial posted somewhere on this type of blank making?
I wish I had just done one of these that looked as good.LOL.I have .....NO!...artistic talent.

Don't get me wrong, I did NOT make the clay flowers. Those I bought from someone MUCH more talented than myself.

I'm just the one that ruined them.:biggrin:

I read about it in "Complete Guide to Turning Pens & Pencils" by Walter Hall.

Top Bottom