I'm An Idiot.. Can I Salvage This Kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all.

I'm trying to get back into the pen making scene after quite a long break. I recently purchased some more kits including a couple Cigar kits, which I have never turned.

Anyways, I managed to ruin a pen and want to know if I can save the kit. I turned the short barrel with the bushings intended for the long barrel, and the long barrel with the bushings intended for the short barrel.

I was hoping it might still work and tried to assemble it. Obviously, I was wrong. I know have the couple and nib pressed into the short barrel.

Is there anyway I can get them out? I would rather ruin a nice piece of mesquite burl then a nice piece of mesquite burl and a nice kit.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Get the Harbor Freight transfer punch set, good for disassembling most any kit!
The set can be had for less than 10 bucks and is a life saver in cases like this.

OKLAHOMAN

Do you have a H/F transfer punch set? If not go to your box of old drill bits find one that just fits into the tube with and insert them in the sharp end up using a rubber mallet drive the nib out. Now with a larger bit drive out the c/b coupler do the same with the top barrel.

Draconias

"I turned the short barrel with the bushings intended for the long barrel, and the long barrel with the bushings intended for the short barrel."

It sounds like the upper and lower barrels are shaped wrong and will not fit with the kit parts. You may want to disassemble the pen and buy replacement tubes (or turn the existing tubes down to the brass), then try again ;)

I think anyone who has turned a pen has likely made this mistake ;)

Ron

GodofBiscuits

Ahhhh... been there, done that. My first Cigar pen in fact. I was so excited. The barrels came out absolutely perfect and the Olive Wood looked amazing, the CA finish was absolutely amazing and then...

DOH!!!

The blanks now adorn the cabinet above my lathe for reminder every time I turn a pen.

DurocShark

I think anyone who has turned a pen has likely made this mistake ;)

Ron

Hey, i resemble that remark!

I've yet to buy a transfer pinch set and use drill bits instead. The bits WILL chew up your mallet, and you don't want to destroy the bit. Glue up some pine 2x4's and turn yourself a cheap mallet. It works great.

Top Bottom