I'm going to the Douglas and Sturgess store

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf

I read Jay Pickens' article on casting polyester resin, and decided I wanted to give it a shot. When I went to the Douglas and Sturgess site (http://www.artstuf.com) that Jay suggested, I noticed that their store is in San Francisco, just across the bridge from my office.

So tomorrow, if I can get out of work on time, I'm going to take a trip to the Douglas and Sturgess store to see what I can see. I'm a complete newcomer to casting, so I'm hoping I can learn a few things by wandering around their shop. I like shopping by catalog and shopping online, but I would really rather go in person when I can.

If anyone has any hints about what I should look for, or what questions I should ask, I would appreciate the advice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rolf,

There have been several postings regarding why the resin comes out "brittle". Our suspicion is that it is too much activator. It seems that their instructions are a little vague regarding effects of temperature, depth of resin, size of mold (3-9 oz seems to make a difference in activator ratios).

I'm sure they know their product and assume all their users do also. Wrong assumption when we are just learning. Of course, experimentation uses product and we are not likely to give up, so they may not be motivated to make the ideal product quick to achieve.

Good Luck!

coach

You should ask them what would make it brittle. I have made mine the exact same way everytime, and it has been very brittle lately. Let us know how the trip goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom