I'm baaaack... did I miss it? :-p

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

Been away for far too many months (heavy workload... not that it has changed, mind you, but I'm making an effort).

I was wondering if I had missed this year's support drive... I need a coffee mug in a new color (Jonesing for red this year, missed it last year :( ). And maybe this will be the impetus I need to spend more time on the lathe again... the ol' girl is getting lonely.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Been away for far too many months (heavy workload... not that it has changed, mind you, but I'm making an effort).

I was wondering if I had missed this year's support drive... I need a coffee mug in a new color (Jonesing for red this year, missed it last year :( ). And maybe this will be the impetus I need to spend more time on the lathe again... the ol' girl is getting lonely.

Sorry, Dan. All gone for this year.

PR_Princess

Welcome back Dan! I hope that you stick around... a lonely lathe is definitely not a pretty sight. Besides that, I have missed your wit and humour!

Dan Hintz

Sorry, Dan. All gone for this year.
Rats! Now all of the kids are going to point and poke fun at me for drinking out of last year's model. I'll have to hide my shame behind the use of a paper cup, a nasty little item that has the unfortunate habit of letting my drink get cold while burning off my fingerprints.

Oh well...

For those who don't follow me on The Creek, I have some new toys in the house. The 60W ULS laser is gone, and it has been replaced with a more peppy 80W Trotec. All of the same doodads... rotary, vector table, etc.

I have also put some real research work into a fiber laser, something I have been waffling over the last year or so. My current system of choice is a 70W SPI laser with a galvo head, though I'm still waffling on which head to buy (it will be 3D, not the typical 2D, so I can do some sweet custom pen work). The real problem I'm running across is finding a useful bed (one with auto-Z height adjustment, like my flatbeds) with a rotary combined... since the fiber is significantly more picky about focus, I need something more than manual adjustment, especially for the 3D portion. It has been a while since I spoke with anyone at SPI, so I may upgrade to a more powerful model if it's available.

Charlie_W

Hey Dan! We have missed ya!

Yes, the IAP Bash is over for this year and you managed to miss out on MAPG 2014. You had better jump in on some piths and swaps to hold you over till next year.
Don't be a stranger. Post a pic of your lonely lathe..maybe we can find it a mate,
"Lonely Lathe.com"! :biggrin:
Every turner needs 2 lathes.....this helps give birth to some very cool pens!

Later Dude!

Dan Hintz

But but but... but I have two. One for wood (Robust) and one for metal (Jet), though I really need to start putting the metal one through its paces. Whenever I decide on my fiber laser, I'll turn some custom stuff with the Jet and then tweak the design using the laser.

I also wanted to attend more pen events this year, but this past year has been particularly hard on my time. I have multiple custom pen requests in the queue, but I don't like to phone it in and just use whatever I find first in the box. I prefer to think long and hard about each client's wants/needs and make something that will match up well. If I can just get my mind in gear again (without stripping the gear train!).

Top Bottom