I'm Aesthetically challanged

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rduncan

Folks, after being away from pen making and turning in general, I've decided to get back into the activity. To relearn some of the techniques I already made a couple slim lines and an acrylic Baron. I'd forgotten how much I really like Barons. In any case I decided to make Baron pen as a gift for a person who heads up the volunteer corner workers at a local auto road racing track. I want it to be racing flags based and have turned the cap using black and white laminated corian(r).

Now I'm stuck aesthetically as how to make the balance of the pen. Initially I was going to make the balance simply a plain white corian(r) piece. Then I thought about some of the other colors used in the flags. I thought perhaps using some light/white wood, perhaps maple, and dividing it thirds and coloring each portion something like red, green and yellow. Of course, then I was conflicted about the order but that is just me I guess.

So anyone have any ideas for the actual pen body?? The kit I'm using is satin nickel but I may try and opt for chrome.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I would use white with one inset narrow black line running lengthwise (or at an angle to the axis) to represent the handle of the flag.

You certainly are not spelling-challenged to get "aesthetically" white !!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin: Now, "challanged" is a different matter !!!!!

Last edited:

tomtedesco

My thought is if you do the multi colored idea it may be too many colors in a short space. I like the idea of something looking like a handle, but I would keep it one color. The white handle could be the "white flag" indicating the last lap, leading to the checker flag top.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I made one a couple of years ago with this theme and used holly for the white material and African blackwood for the black in the checker board top. For the bottom I used holly and inserted the flag colors used in racing. I found a set of loose leaf binder dividers made of plastic at an office supply store and the set had all of the colors of the flags plus a brown one. I cut slots in the blank in all different angles around the blank with a scroll saw but you could use a jeweler's or coping saw. I sanded the plastic and glued it in the slots with CA then turned and finished. Looked pretty good I thought.
WB

rduncan

Good ideas all. I'm now convinced that multiple colors would be many. I don't have enough of the same black to make another checkerboard but all white with a stripe of black (perhaps some veneer I have) is a great idea. I'll need to laminate the white as it's 1/2" or so thick but that shouldn't be a problem.

OK, that's what I'll do, white with a thin black stripe of some sort. Now off to ponder straight or at an axis. Probably shoot for straight and if it's not perfect I can always say the angle was intentional.

Thanks again all.

Rick

Top Bottom