I'm 17 and would like to learn from the pros

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

How do you make such nice pens i have made lots of pens that look great and have mastered the fiishing process but could any one help me. I am really interested in the fabricated blank and inlays on pens by hand and any sites you could lead me to or feel free to email me or any thing i especially would like to know how to make pens that are fine detail with glued in accents
Thank you
Adam Gill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Adam!

It sure is nice to see you here! There are as many different ways to do things as there are people doing them! One of the ways to get a nice tight inlay is to have them laser cut. Take a look at the article on the American Flag pen on our main page. But many of the inlays I've seen were cut out of the pen by hand using a powercrafter or such. But if you do this, think of epoxy inlays rather than hard inlays.

If you want to uncover a wealth of information on almost any penturning topic, go to our main page, and click the link for the Yahoo Penturners Archive Search. Put in your topic, click the link, and start reading!

Of course you could always ask specific questions here!

Scott.

Daniel

Adam,
Honestly I woudl suggest you pick a spacific project, Pen style and design you want to end up with then start asking from the first question you come across. the group can help you through every step of the way that way but it won't be so many questions that you don't manage to do any actual turning. that one project will give you alot of education to stretch to the next one.

tipusnr

Being fairly new to this myself - I would have to concur with the moderators.

Try what I did. Look for a local turning class. It doesn't have to be Woodturning I or any such thing. My first class was turning a slimline pen at the local WoodCraft store. Also look for a local woodturning club - some can be found at the AAW website and others by going to local craft shows and asking around.

Not only will you be "learning from the pros" but can make some new friends that will be there when things "go south".

Of course, we're almost ALWAYS on-line. [:p]

(Which is kind of sad [:(] when you think about it!)

Doghouse

I have a couple of rules to work by:

1. It is only a woodturning. Millions will not die over a mistake.

2. Every piece is a test peice and not a masterpiece. Only others can tell you when you have a masterpiece.

3. Don't ever be scared to "skirt the edge".

4. When in doubt refer to rule #1.

melchioe

LOL, Doghouse - I had to repeat #1 to myself last night over and over after a fully-finished pen (nice CA finish, one of the nicest Cherry burls I've seen) literally shattered on the mandrel when was parting off the tenon. Guess I didn't get full glue coverage...

It's only a woodturning, it's only a woodturning...

The rules are a very nice set. It is far too easy for me to take myself too seriously, and your guidlines are quite handy.

Doghouse

Only a fellow Alpha type would understand why #1 is so important. I am a prefectionist. After I snapped my 3rd chopstick I was making my wife had to remind me of rule #1. Turning under 1/4 of an inch at 14 inches long is not eazy. It tends to flex and whip instead of cut. But I am learning something new with everything I do.

MUST REPEAT RULE #1
MUST REPEAT rule #1
MUST repeat rule #1
must repeat rule #1

See much better now...$#@$#$#$#@$#@$@#$![:D]

leenollie

Welcome Adam. Doghouse is right. Rule #1 is important. Even the most expert of us all (and you know you are [:D]) will tell you, wood can be very unpredictable and unforgiving. One hidden flaw in the grain and POOF, a pen blank blows up on you. I cannot begin to tell you how many mismatched pens I have made because one part blew up while the other was fine. But I look at it this way: If you don't tell anyone, they will never know it's mismatched. [;)]

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

Adam

Thank you for the helpcurrently i am hand scroll sawing a inlay of a guitar with all the different pieces out of different wood it "turns out" i will be sure to have a picture ready
P.S. where could i find a laser engraver willing to help me out????????????

Thanks Again.
Adam Gill

melchioe

Bill Baumbeck has a couple of links on his links page to laser engravers... http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Links.htm (scroll down a little, it's below the cool pictures of the bandsaw) - probably not local to you, but they both have excellent reputations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom