I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Recently I had success with antler, so I decided to try Indian River Buffalo Horn. Big, big mistake. Hard to drill, hard to turn, and even harder to sand and finish. Very susceptible to scratches, which are just about impossible to get out. Definitely not worth the time and effort. I finally got Rhodium Jr Gent II done, and the lower barrel of a Majestic Jr. The cap still has scratches, however. Very frustrating. Them Indians make some pretty crappy buffaloes.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

I have made three pens. Had to use 4 blanks. One was great, one was fair and I made one crappy pen from the other two. They cracked. I will never do one again either.... Unless the price is right.

sbell111

Buffalo horn pens are great sellers for us, so we have adapted to learning how to make them without scratches or cracks. Avoid heat at all cost and wet sand then hit it with whatever compounds you prefer to ensure that there are no scratches.

cacardon

I'm not going to lie, it sound hard but I'd be willing to give it a try if I had a pice. I'm always down for a good challenge!

jcm71

Buffalo horn pens are great sellers for us, so we have adapted to learning how to make them without scratches or cracks. Avoid heat at all cost and wet sand then hit it with whatever compounds you prefer to ensure that there are no scratches.

That's what I ended up doing. Slow sanding speed, wet sand, EEE, Maguiar's Auto Polishing Compound, you name it. I'll have to think long and hard before using it again. What do you use as your final finish??

Top Bottom