If you have trashed you live center point

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

On your Jet mini with a pen mandrel, Woodcraft has replacements for $1.99. Knock out the old one with the knockout bar and put the new one in. Also, the Delta live center ($19) has a more blunt center point that fits in the mandrel cup much better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

I went ahead and picked up the 7 piece set from Woodcraft. I am glad I did. I have used a couple of them since. I did a couple of hairpins and need the small cup that came with the set as well as the larger cup lined with scrap suede for turning some spheres. I was a bit put off by the $45 price but it has turned out to be worth it for me.

Dean
Columbus, OH

jwoodwright

Before I found replacements for my Jet Mini's Live Center Point, I filed down the point by putting the Live Center in the Headstock , turned it on, used a file to remove the sharp point. Now it fits my Mandrell like a glove...[8D]

Randy_

Originally posted by Carole in VA
<br />On your Jet mini with a pen mandrel, Woodcraft has replacements for $1.99. Knock out the old one with the knockout bar and put the new one in. Also, the Delta live center ($19) has a more blunt center point that fits in the mandrel cup much better.
Don't expect to find them in the catalog, however. You can only get them at the retail stores. Also, you can get a 60° live center for your pen mandrel from

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1189

for a little under $13.

Fred in NC

Talking about LittleMachineShop... They also carry CENTER DRILLS.
It is a short drill, with a step that is 60 deg. It can be used to fix the end of the mandrel's shaft. It will drill a little hole in the middle of the cup, so the live center's point does not contact the metal. And, hehe, you get double for your money, the drills are double-ended!

Gary

I took a 60-degree live center and ground down (rounded) the point so it wouldn't bottom out in the mandrel dimple, then set it aside just for pens. Just another approach.

elody21

If you need a replacement for your Jet Mini live center point, call Jet!
I buy them 10 at a time for about a $1.00 each. I always have fresh ones on hand.

cjthomas

I was on Grizzly's webpage earlier today. They carry two MT1 live centers. They have a light duty center for $8.00 and the heavier duty center for $23.00. Do I really need the heavier duty center or will the light duty suffice for pen turning?

Fred in NC

Chris, the live center is used to keep the mandrel's shaft in position. It is a very light duty use. You don't have to press very hard on the mandrel, and it does not have to hold any weight.

This one looks like the one I use:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H3407

Randy_

Originally posted by elody21
<br />If you need a replacement for your Jet Mini live center point, call Jet!
I buy them 10 at a time for about a $1.00 each. I always have fresh ones on hand.
This is true; but they also charge you $19.95 for shipping!!!
If you have a Woodcraft store nearby you can pick them up for $2.

Carole in VA

Originally posted by cjthomas
<br />I was on Grizzly's webpage earlier today. They carry two MT1 live centers. They have a light duty center for $8.00 and the heavier duty center for $23.00. Do I really need the heavier duty center or will the light duty suffice for pen turning?
Don't know what lathe you have but be sure it takes MT1. The Jet Minis take MT2.

jwoodwright

Jet charged me $20.00 when I ordered my bandsaw tires. The tires were like $4.00 and it came out to $24.99. The package was 6" square and weighed about 5 oz. Operator told me that was their standard S/H...[:(]

wpenm

The only thing wrong with the cheaper live centers are the bearings. I was told that the cheap live centers are rated for about 40 hours of use. I had some freeze up from use. I now spray a little WD40 on them and it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom