If I had known this earlier . . - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Default If I had known this earlier . .

I am on a fact finding mission. Can you help?

What do you wish you had known earlier in pen turning?

or in different words:

Knowing what you know now - IF you could go back and start over in pen turning - what would you skip, change or do differently?

answers for instance:
- I wish I had known about the difference in an MT 1 and an MT 2 lathe.
- I wish I had known the advantages of VS
- I wish I had known this was going to cost so much!
- I wish I had started with a DC system or learned to use a mask from the beginning.

What can you contribute to this post that could possible help someone else in the future?

Thanks!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I had no tools what so ever when I started turning pens. nada. I went out and bought a band saw, drill press and lathe. The bandsaw and drill press are ryobi from Home Depot. I still use the bandsaw but it can't cut straight. The drill press broke and I do all my drilling on my lathe now.

If I know what I know now I would have;

1. Skipped the drillpress and bought the stuff to drill on the lathe.
2. Got a good table saw instead of the bandsaw. With what I paid for the drillpress and the bandsaw I could have gotten a pretty nice table saw.

None of that applies to you guys that are already wood nuts and have tools. One thing I would warn the new people about is the cost associated with gearing up to produce pens if you start from scratch. I have spent at least $5,000 on tools and such, blanks and kits. I had no drill bits now I have at least 30.

I have even more but I will leave it at that for now.

Good luck on collecting info.
aggromere is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Lee,
My first thought was your first example. Bought an MT1 mini lathe and wish I had known the difference. And #3...if I had known what it was going to cost I probably would have never started! Some things are better learned later!

Wish I really had understood how much difference SHARP tools make.
Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
edman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Don`t think that I would change very much . One of the things that I did from the beginning was to save my mistakes . With time , practice and knowledge gained from this forum , most of those have been reclaimed into satisfactory pens . I don`t want the pile to ever get to zero , because I want to continually push the envelope of what I can create . That , and the remote chance of someday making a profit , keeps me turning round .

Wayne
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I guess I started back wards. I had all of my tools and had been woodworking for almost 30 plus years before I even heard of people making pens. All I had to do was buy some kits and a mandrel. Costs still add up when adding in machine wear and tear and other little expenses that are incurred especially as a hobby.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 27

use the lathe. extra parts don't make everything better. drilling on lathe and turning between centers make everything more accurate (for me anyway!!!).

www.eaglepens.com
GoodTurns is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm well since this weekend I had my first "lesson" in turning, the information I have gathered so far is this:

MT#2 all the way, you are way too limited with MT#1 and most people soon realize that they may want to try things that will require them to buy a new lathe.

From seeing the difference between VS and not I dont really think there is a big difference. Let me explain a bit, I dont mind having to move the belt and while the dial is a huge convenience and saves time its a saving to get started. What I never saw anywhere on the forum either was that even on a VS system you have to change the belt for different speed ranges as well so its almost a wash. If I have the money Ill go VS but I may want to use that extra $100 on a grinder which I would argue is more important so you always have sharp tools.

Im going to buy cheap blanks in bulk from eBay until I get the feel for using the tools. Actually turning a pen is much different from watching videos, there is a lot more finesse involved that will come with a lot of practice. Knowing angles for cutting, learning different cuts, learning how to use a skew properly and knowing when to sharpen and how to sharpen. I think I may burn through about 50 or so blanks just figuring it out before I use any good materials for a pen.

Thinking outside the box. Seeing how someone actually works is invaluable, Jason had a lot of tricks that I didnt think of and havent seen anyone else do. Things like turning his own custom MT#2 clamps and jigs to use on specific things, using simple tools to do things that people are buying $50 custom tools to do, little things like where to get cheap glue, etc.

Thats what I have so far, Im sure there will be more specifically after I go buy my lathe...sooner than later I hope.

Josh Gertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Not too many things turned out to be a surprise for me as I spent several months on this forum and reading books before I vere turned a blank.

One thing I missed was the need for a 60 live center; but I figured that out pretty quick. The thing that took a while to figure out is that all of the relatively small chisels and gouges sold for pen crafting never get out of their box any more now that I have purchased full sized tools.

Also wish I had invested in a digital caliper the same day I purchased my lathe. I had an old vernier caliper; but it is hard to read, quickly, so I didn't get it out very often. A digital caliper or a dial caliper will greatly improve the quality of your work!!

Last edited by Randy_; 05-12-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Randy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

i would have bought a Jet instead of a turncrafter pro, i would have superglued the walnut burl blank when i got closer to the tube, i would have CA'd the ends of the blank with thin ca before i started turning it, i would have come to this site first, i would have gotten professional help using a skew and saved a few practice blanks, i wouldn't have tried to turn alloy silver with a wood lathe (i finally got this one almost finished), i would have rearranged my shop AFTER i finish my canoe so i can find the lathe, drill press, pen press, my blanks and kits, etc.....
i would have thanked all the people here in advance for sharing their knowledge so willingly and for their friendship. it's never to late......THANKS FRIENDS!!!!! ...bear
artistwood is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I'll echo two thoughts already stated, 60 degree centers and turning between centers with johnnycnc's bushings. That and how much difference a nice tool rest made.

"Yes I am a Pirate".......................Jimmy Buffett

TBone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads