If any of you guys need me I'll be banging my head on the bench.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonC

Wanted to do something different and challenge myself. Went though the library and found something I've always wanted to do - make a realistic cigar pen. Dug through the big drawer with all the burl in it and found a nice piece of Russian Olive Burl I got in a trade from BSea.
10421577_846457168720477_539725024078715969_n.jpg

So I got this guy glued up and rough turned last night. Russian Olive Burl and unstablized Buckeye Burl.

10359212_846463725386488_2409366265506999519_n.jpg

1891207_846491395383721_2636651531701391732_n.jpg

Today I cut the blank and drilled the two pieces...with too large of a bit. :rolleyes: Would've been an awesome pen. :frown:

So...back to the burly drawer of ideas for another burl that I can use.

Anyway, figured I'd post this. We always post the nice results but like to forget about the failures.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You inspire me

Jason,

I have wanted to make one for a while, just kept putting off.

Not bad for first try.

I have a special person I want to make one for, as well as a cigar tube.

Thank you,

Charlie

JasonC

We all have those days.

Humidity is HIGH right now too. CA is setting insanely fast. Had five tubes in two days set too quickly. Of course it would have to happen on a two barrel kit.

Not a failure. It was a practice run. Its all about re-naming goals.

It's a failure. I knew better but was tired and kept at it. This is something that should come easy to me. It's a simple process, but I made a mental mistake that cost me the blank. That, combined with frustration from early CA setting due to humidity and it's been a frustrating couple of days. :rolleyes:

Turn a dowel and plug it and redrill if the plug wont show when the pen is finished.

Would've been visible. I did make SOME use of those pieces to practice cutting with the rotary tool and brush up on the old woodburning skills.

Charles,

Ver 2.0 is on the lathe now. Walnut this time.
10175003_4908505807763_1850220159813115781_n.jpg

Last edited:

walshjp17

BSea

Turn a dowel and plug it and redrill if the plug wont show when the pen is finished.

I was going to suggest filling the blank with alumilite, but your solution is probably better.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I think it's a good option (if you have some alumilite). It's fast, and gets in every crevice. I've done that for a wooden kitless pen. It works great.

robutacion

We all have those days.

Humidity is HIGH right now too. CA is setting insanely fast. Had five tubes in two days set too quickly. Of course it would have to happen on a two barrel kit.

It's a failure. I knew better but was tired and kept at it. This is something that should come easy to me. It's a simple process, but I made a mental mistake that cost me the blank. That, combined with frustration from early CA setting due to humidity and it's been a frustrating couple of days. :rolleyes:

Would've been visible. I did make SOME use of those pieces to practice cutting with the rotary tool and brush up on the old woodburning skills.

Charles,

Did I hear, "flap disc"...???

That's what the finish would look, instead of those"chunks" ripped from the last pic, it works and works well...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

JasonC

Very good Jason. Could you show us the rest of the process as you continue to make the pen? Good choice of material. Darrell

Will do. Following Bill's tutorial in the library. Seem to be making some of the same mistakes. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest filling the blank with alumilite, but your solution is probably better.

Would've shown.

Could you show us the rest of the process as you continue to make the pen? Good choice of material. Darrell

Bill Bettag has a tutorial in the library. It's where I learned how to make these pens.

http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/realistic_cigar_pen.pdf

BTW, Jason, I have a box of "failures" at all stages in the process. Keep at it. The second iteration looks promising.

Yup, using Bill's tutorial. Thinking about tweaking it a bit. Having some concentricity issues that are bugging me. Ver 2.0 became scrap. :rolleyes:

Jason;
Use a thicker viscosity CA Glue. The thicker you go, the longer it takes to set,

Yeah, aware of that. Using medium right now (my normal tube adhesive) and it's setting in a couple of seconds. With the crazy humidity I've switched to epoxy because I don't have thick on hand. Humidity should improve when the trade winds return, but with the incoming hurricane who knows.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I think it's a good option (if you have some alumilite). It's fast, and gets in every crevice. I've done that for a wooden kitless pen. It works great.

Would've shown and bugged the crap out of me. Too much of a perfectionist, I guess.

We all have those days.

Charles,

Did I hear, "flap disc"...???

That's what the finish would look, instead of those"chunks" ripped from the last pic, it works and works well...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Not following you, George. Chunks ripped from that pic?

Last edited:

BSea

Yes, if the alumilite shows, then it pretty much ruins the effect. But maybe if it's just clear it would work. I have about 15 pieces of pens that are waiting for an inspirational fix. I learned not to throw things away.

Top Bottom