Ideas and suggestions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I (newbie - made 10 pens) am going to be making a pen for a door prize for out motorcycle club. My plans are to do some sort of white acrylic. Print our logo on decal paper, apply it an cover it with CA.

The logo has a good bit of white in it, thus my decision to go with a white pen.

I have checked a lot of catalogs and don't see a white or white pearl acrylic. Anyone have any suggestions?

What pen would look good with white and what finish? I don't want to put too much into this but want something more than the basic slimline, trimlime, 7mm pen. (Ball point or Rollerball)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I (newbie - made 10 pens) am going to be making a pen for a door prize for out motorcycle club. My plans are to do some sort of white acrylic. Print our logo on decal paper, apply it an cover it with CA.

The logo has a good bit of white in it, thus my decision to go with a white pen.

I have checked a lot of catalogs and don't see a white or white pearl acrylic. Anyone have any suggestions?

What pen would look good with white and what finish? I don't want to put too much into this but want something more than the basic slimline, trimlime, 7mm pen. (Ball point or Rollerball)

First of all, PAINT the inside of the white BLANK (called reverse painting) and use either white tubes or paint the tubes as well. With white acrylic, just painting the pen tube is NOT enough, as EVERY glue pocket will show!

Most of the suppliers sell a white acrylic, BUT for just a buck or two more, Ed and Dawn (exoticblanks.com) sell a white mother pearl blank that is to die for! Regardless of what shade of white is in your logo (and I know this will open a can of worms- but white ain't always white), the MOP blank will make it look GREAT!

IF exotics is out, PM me and I'll send you one. I ALWAYS keep a good supply of this mother of pearl blank because it makes my skills appear better than they are!

PenMan1

Gary:
Atlanta is sorta "generic", but the Woodcraft in Roswell has a decent selection of white "swirl and pearl" blanks and they also host the S.E. IAP chapter meetings. But unfortunately, all of the WC pearls that I know about are not close to HD "White Pearl" and have black in them that don't really work with any MC colors that I know.

I've been trying to make a chapter meeting for 2-3 years now, but work always seems to get in the way (but I have met almost all of the S.E. Chapter Members personally and these people are as AWESOME as the motorcycle club members in GA).

If you get in a bind, PM me, I've got you covered (2003 Fat Boy, 1980 Honda C-70, 1969 Honda Dream 305 polisher- we likely know some of the same people)! Never let your MC club down!

Last edited:

Brooks803

As far as kit types to use. Maybe a chrome (motorcycle guys love their chrome!) cigar? It'll be a bit larger than what you've been turning but not much different in technique. You can also buy white tubes to help with protecting the white blank (still always paint the inside of the blank!) Also the cigar kit won't put a huge dent in your wallet since this will be a door prize and not for a paying customer. I also agree with Andy's (penman1) idea of using a MOP blank, but if you really really really want to use a solid white blank you can send me a PM and I'll cast one up for you, I can leave it plain white or add some pearl for some POP. The blank would look like this:

Also remember if you're doing a decal it's best to seal it with a CA finish to protect it. We're here to help so there is no stupid question!

Drstrangefart

I think maybe leather with a chrome kit would really appeal to the crowd there. Just cut some black leather into 3/4 inch squares, glue them with CA into a stack, soak the whole stack in thin CA, then drill, mount and turn. Just make sure your tools are super sharp. It's a pretty laid back material to turn, just takes time.

G1Pens

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, input and offers, I have checked out all the suppliers mentioned here and I think Exotic Blanks is my best bet. The MOP would be my first choice...that sounds more like what I had in my head. I have some Chrome Cigars ordered, so I will go with that as well. I think it will be me what I want.

Can't wait till I get the supplies and get to turn the pen. Looking forward to it.

One question....how thick a layer of CA should I use over the decal. I normally use thin CA on my wood pens. Do I need to build up a thick coat so I don't sand thru the CA to the decal when sanding and polishing? Also should I turn the blank slightly below the level of the bushings to account for the CA?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One comment for those who followed this thread:

I import "Madreperlato" (translated Mother of Pearl) from Italy. We also handle the product from TruStone, which they call Mother of Pearl (which is actually a resin, not a tru-stone).

The Italian Acrylic is a more predictable, consistent product. It is ALWAYS a nice white pearl!!

To further confuse, Dawn makes a white Polyresin, which is not a pearl, but a nice opaque white.

Each has it's place, but there is plenty of room for confusion!!!

Hope this helps anyone who wants "white"!!

aggromere

Dawn's white polyresin

Here is a pic of a pen I made a good while ago using the regular white polyresin blank for Dawn. It's on a satin silver cigar kit, with some red accent rings. Pen is long gone but I still have the pic. It's really white.

Attachments

• white & red pen.jpg
    white & red pen.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom