ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

unclefuzzy

I am looking for new ideas on natural materials to make pens from. I have made some from antler, pine cone, corn cob and magnolia pod. I have also made some from .308 shell casings. ( I know, not natural material). I am always looking for something new and unusual to work with. I don't cast anything. Just CA and/or soak in a can of lacquer. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
one of my wife's favorites is a slim wrapped with mulitcolor knitting yarn,, just be sure it's 100%cotton,, wrap the tubes and soak with thin ca

robutacion

Remember. I do not cast anything. It has to be something I can soak in lacquer and CA.

Ok so, you mean, anything that you can stick/glue to a brass tube and then build from there...????

That is even easier than casting, I won't even start giving examples, I may still here after Christmas.

Where to look...??? Horizon in your limit but, why not start on the room you are in, at the moment, look around slowly and think, every room of your house will give you something, kitchen is one of my preferred places to get "stuff" to make pen blanks with but, the house alone will give you endless opportunities and when you are done, or you think you are, go in the shed, garage, backyard, everywhere will be something...!:wink::biggrin:

You want the easy way but that will not give you the, exclusivity and the self satisfaction to have come out with the idea all by yourself, that makes the whole thing a lot more interesting, well..., for me it does...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Akula

sponge is interesting...better if you could cast but close trimming and color looks nice

casting could get good results without messing with blended colors, and open a big door

small fishing flies on painted tubes

coins..besides the scroll saw cut out, you could turn one inside out and use them as spacers

lots of different soft metals

if you have a engraver or dremel, cut out shapes on wood and then fill with different materials (resin chips, turquoise or similar stones, coffee ect)

Oh and I almost forgot about canes...I watched for hours when I was a kid, the women make the canes for candy...now they have made their way to pens

Last edited:

unclefuzzy

Thanks for the responses. I particularly like robutocon's . Instead of making it easy, he issued a challenge to use my imagination. I accept the challenge to look at things with a different eye. I may not be very successful, but some of the fun is in the trying.

Ambidex

If you want a challenge, we'll go snipe huntin and I hear they have an awesome skin pattern if you get em at the right time of the year...we're at the peak time here, but if youwanna I'll save a cot and save you a spot on the charter hunt..hope you don't get seasick..:rolleyes:

Sylvanite

Back when he was still with us, Eagle remarked that with enough CA glue, anything could become a pen blank. So, George is entirely right that we are limited only by our imagination. With some practice, you'll be able to build up CA as thick as you want, so whatever you can stick together or glue on a tube can become a pen.

I've done a few strange items, but probably my most unusual material was gunpowder.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom