Idea for tube and clear acrylic blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I am still new at this but have an idea. There was an inquiry about a blank with a certain finish. Thought I could crinkle some aluminum foil, flatten it and glue it around a tube. I know it would increase the diameter a bit. How would it react with CA or epoxy? Would the glue hold? Try it and see? Thanks to all who reply.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeyt

You should use the foil tape for heating systems I don't remember the name but can get a roll in the heating section of home depot or Lowe's it sticks to the tube great and be casted without issues

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Cwalker935

The foil I used was much thinner than kitchen foil. I would be concerned that regular cooking foil may be too thick for thinner walled pens particularly after it had been crinkled. I glued the foil on with CA and let cure thoroughly before casting. Aluminum plays well with PR.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I was looking to apply this directly to the tube. Don't have the equipment for casting. SWMBO is of the opinion that I need to use what I have for now. I'll look at Woodcraft and see what they have that would be translucent enough for this idea. Thanks to all for your replies.
Thanks to all on this forum for their unselfish attitude in sharing with others!

dogcatcher

I found some small diameter plastic shipping tubes. I turned a Delrin jig to plug the bottom end and to center the tube and a Delrin plug. Mix the resin and then sat it on an upside down vibrator sander for a minute or so. Poured in to the tube. the vibrator action of the sander got most of the air out. Uline has the tubes as do others.

The foil, this was my idea although I never tried it, I believe it is workable. Crumple the foil, smooth it out a little. Glue with CA to the tube. Then scribble different colored magic markers on the foil covered tube. Allow to dry, then with an alcohol soaked rag, wipe off the highlights of the magic markers leaving the high points of the foil exposed as shiny aluminum.

Woodchipper

dogcatcher, thanks for the tip.
Spent a vacation in NM about three years ago. Love it and would like to spend about two weeks there to re-live the western history.

dogcatcher

dogcatcher, thanks for the tip.
Spent a vacation in NM about three years ago. Love it and would like to spend about two weeks there to re-live the western history.
Lot of history in my part of New Mexico, Lincoln County War and Billy the Kid, along with the home of the Mescalero Apaches. Ruidoso sits at 7000 feet with Ski Apache at 12,000 plus.

Top Bottom