Idea for the rifle cartridge pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KD5NRH

Has anyone tried using Barnes TSX bullets? They're all copper, so no lead to melt out. The price is pretty high (though if you know someone who reloads the caliber you want, they'll probably split a box with you, since they are excellent hunting bullets) but if you can actually use up a box of 50 it isn't too bad per bullet.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=BX

I haven't tried it yet, (I'm not pulling apart any of my good hunting rounds during deer season :) ) but it does seem like they'd be easier to deal with, and possibly more durable than jacketed lead.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I get my solid copper bullets from a hunter I work with. Not sure of the brand, but I get all I want at no cost. Well... a pen or two.

Sylvanite

Yes, I've used the Barnes Triple-Shock-X bullets. If you want a solid copper bullet, the TSX has a good shape. They are longer than traditional bullets of the same weight, so plan on trying a lighter bullet. Be sure not to get the titanium-core version (it would be very difficult to drill).

I'm planning to add a "lead-free" option to some of the kits I sell, but for the most part, I still prefer to work with regular jacketed lead-core bullets. I don't melt the lead out - I drill it. For what it's worth, I find the lead bullets easier to drill than solid copper. Also, if you're planning to use the boat-tail to center a tube, be aware that the TSX boat-tail is not tapered enough. You'll have to modify the bullet shape, which is a bit of a pain.

They do work well when you want to solder a tube to the bullet. You can even cut a stepped tenon on the base.

I hope that helps,
Eric

KD5NRH

Yes, I've used the Barnes Triple-Shock-X bullets. If you want a solid copper bullet, the TSX has a good shape. They are longer than traditional bullets of the same weight, so plan on trying a lighter bullet. Be sure not to get the titanium-core version (it would be very difficult to drill).

I had forgotten about the length-to-weight variation. I suppose in a pinch, it could be easily shortened a bit on a metal lathe, though at that point, it might be more cost effective to buy copper rod and make a bullet from scratch.

They do work well when you want to solder a tube to the bullet. You can even cut a stepped tenon on the base.

I was wondering about that as well. Have you ever done anything with .243? That's quickly becoming one of my favorite cartridges for hunting around here, and I was thinking it would be neat to give a few pens made from bone and the brass from the round that got the animal as special gifts.

KenV

one thing to think about -- I use those bullets -- and copper is "sticky" to machine.

You can machine it , but it does not cut a cleanly as brass, aluminum or steel.

Go ahead and give it a try - use as light a bullet as you can get. I find collets work better than a standard 3 jaw drill chuck to hold the bullets - 6 mm is the spot on size for the 243 Winchester.

BigShed

I have a box of 50 .270 cal TSX solid copper bullets and endorse all of the above comments re machining.

Solid copper is not the easiest to machine, it is easy for a drill bit to break oof in the bullet, and you have to modify the end. That really isn't too difficult.

Here in Oz they cost more than 3x the price of a traditional copper/lead bullet and I won't be buying any more. I also find the .270 cal is't that popular for pens anyway.

Sylvanite

Here is a picture that almost shows what I mean. On the top is an unmodified TSX bullet. Below is one that is drilled out for a mini-refill and has a stepped tenon cut on the base. The first step matches the inside diameter of the brass tube, so the two mate squarely. The very end of the base is stepped down a little more, such that a ring of wire solder fits between the bullet and the tube. I pressed everything together and heated it up to attach them permanently.

This is the first step of making a 308 Win cartridge keychain pen like I've posted previously.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• Stepped.jpg
    Stepped.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 136

Sylvanite

I was wondering about that as well. Have you ever done anything with .243?
Yes, I've made pens from 243 Winchester caliber cartridges as well. There's nothing special about 243 Win - it's just a necked-down 308 Win cartridge. I've considered offering kits in 243 Win and 270 Win, since I already have the reloading equipment.

Regards,
Eric

philipff

Sorry to intrude

With apologies, but I am lost on how to start a new thread!!! - - and I thought I knew something about the Internet! Anyone lead me by the nose to the correct click? Thanks, Philip

Hi Philip,
When you go to the forum where you want to open a thread.. usually one of the community forums... there's a button at the top left side that say "Open a new thread".. just click on it and go from there.

My error... the button just say "New Thread"

Top Bottom