ID this mystery spalted wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Found this wood as dunnage at a local hardwood flooring supplier (always bag some goodies when I go by there).

Anyhow, I noticed this one that was all filthy and black on the outside and just knew that it was the "beauty inside that counts".

Better believe it!

So what is this stuff? Nobody there knew. It could have come from a pallet from South America, Australia, or anywhere in the world, as they sell everything from tigerwood to australian cypress to "kuaru".

Anyhow, the last pic is a close-up. Notice the little flecks in it. But it's like this on *every* side, so it's not a quarter-sawn effect like oak and lacewood.

Was about as heavy as oak or maple, and about that hardness.

Smelled like moldy wood when I kissed it on the jointer so smell was no help.

Sorry about the dirty cardboard background. Was either that or dirty concrete as a background.

mysteryspalted2.JPG

mysterywoodspalted.JPG

mysterycloseup.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnson

Looks to me like a very fine example of dangifeyeno. It usually turns easy but may require some CA in punky areas. Nice find.
Dale

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by thewishman
<br />I'm trying to find some dangifeyeno blanks - does anyone know a supplier? I'd really like some dangifeyeno burl, too.

I used to have a supplier of the best dangifeyeno blanks you have ever seen. I would post a picture of the last dangifeyeno pen I made, but dangifeyeno where I put it. The supplier moved, but dangifeyeno where I wrote down his new address. He didn't have any dangifeyeno burl, but his dangifeyeno bowl blanks were spectacular.

I hope this helps you some.

redfishsc

I'm quite sure it's not honey locust, I've seen a good bit of honey locust and it just doesn't have those flitches.

I'll research the beech thing and see what comes up. I've seen beech only a time or two and can't remember the grain, if it looks like dangifeyeno.

clthayer

Correct coloring for birch, it sometimes varries in hue. I agree on the suggestion of beech. The grain looks right. When green beech will have the rays that oak displays when quartersawn, if it is possible to attempt quartering this may give some indication as to whether or not it is beech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom