I wonder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I sometimes wonder if pen turners aren't missing a possible market.

Everyone seems to be making pens of plastic or wood and trying to finish them to look like glass. The shinier the better. Now there is a market for pens like that so that's fine and I'm not suggesting that everybody or anybody stop doing that.

That being said. My house is full of what is called "cottage furniture" it is new furniture that folks take great pains to make it look old. And there is a big market for it. By the way it isn't all that easy to use new lumber and make it look like grand dad made a wash stand that sat in the barn for 50 years. I wonder if there might not be a market for "stressed" pens, showing the finish worn down, and perhaps small indentations where fingers have gripped them for years...or pens made from stressed wood that show some small imperfections? Pens finished with stains and lacquers available years ago....

Any of you folks ever give that any thought.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Yes there is. Once in a while i make a pen out of red cedar and after finish sanding, i skeeze it inside a small chain, like we do for table to put some wear on them. Give a nice antique used look and they sell but people still prefer the shiny look.

Mark

That is exactly what I had in mind when I did my personal use FP. I made it out of old growth oak and left it sort of rough when I coated it with CA.

I like it, but most people that have commented on it, didn't care for the rough look. (It's in my avatar.) They love it being a fountain pen, but think it's unfinished. :frown:

erbymcbrayer

I did some pens from cedar , I just sanded to 12k and did not put a finish on them. Not only beautiful but smelled good also.Putting on a finish would have killed the beautiful cedar oder.

bruce119

You Know I belong to a wood turners club and been to several workshops & seminars. ALL the professionals hate a glossy finish they say it ruins the wood Jimmy Clewes says it "Chokes" the wood. You take a piece to the wood club with a gloss finish all the Pros. hate and say it is wrong. Now with that said I too like the feel of wood.

BUT
at least in my market
IT DOSE NOT SELL

People like shinny stuff I will out sell natural finish to a gloss finish 10 to 1

In a show and now I do medium arts & crafts not high end art. So that does matter I am sure. But I mite get 1 or 2 a weekend that says they don't like the look of the gloss and prefer a natural finish.

Just my experiences and thoughts people don't have a clew or really care they like glossy shiny stuff.

Top Bottom