I want my pens to tell a story

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I have red oak from a 150 year old barn. It was old growth when it was cut originally and a colleague of my brother-in-laws (an archeologist) puts it at about 250-300 years old when the tree was felled. I just hit it with a little BLO and it comes out a lovely salmon pink color. I also have a bunch of Irish bog wood that's anywhere from 2000-5000 years old.
Another good source is #2 common and worse. It's full of knots, crotches,etc but a lot of the time, that's where the most interesting patterns are and since we're working with 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 inch pieces, we can get a lot out of that "waste".

paintspill

i think that is the best part of pen turning, you make your own history. you can't buy it. why buy a blank, that doesn't have a story. but make one from the tree you climbed as a kid or a piece of wood from you grandparents or great grandparents house, etc. now thats history. i'm making 2 right now. cut right out of the hull of one of canada's greatest tall ships. one for me to keep and one to send back to the captain. now thats a story.

dig deep. you'll find one.

GColeman

I know I am new but I see the blanks at exotic blanks and WOW.These tell a story what other blank websites have blanks that have history?

How about this place? http://youthinthewild.com/

In looking at the link, it asks for land owners and ranchers that are willing to allow use of their land for adventures. I know a lot of turners and pen craftsmen that make pens and gifts form wood harvested from an owners land. Grab a chunk of firewood or a fallen limb and make the landowner a fine thank you gift.

Or even better, turn any old piece of scrap with one of the participating youth and you have piece of wood that will tell the story to the youth that someone cares.

I am new to turning as well and share your feelings about the wood. One that I love to turn in Bethlehem olive wood from Woodturningz. It comes with a certificate telling of it's origin and is a breeze to turn. Another wood that I have heard of is from a tree that shades (or shaded) Jessie James grave site. I don't know if that wood is still available. If you stumble across anything of interest I would love to know about it, and I will be on the lookout as well :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you find woods with a story, let us know!! That's how we get the wood, but then we do extenisive research to make the story interesting!!

Right now, we have several Scotch Whiskey Barrel staves. I have over 20 hours of research in them, to make the story interesting and to be accurate and verified. So, for ONE blank, it doesn't merit this much work---for the Presidential woods (Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe), we spent a full week locating information and culling it to make the story absolutely accurate, and still interesting.

Takes a lot of time and a little writing ability. More than anything it takes a commitment to DO it!!

Last edited:

Lee K

Great responses, and matches my thoughts as well. Some of my stories are short, some are more detailed. Stories are what makes OUR pens different than Bics.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There's probably a story for almost every type of wood. Some such as coolibah are used in song (Waltzing Matilda); other species have a religious meaning (Bethlehem Olive Wood); some have been used to make fine instruments for hundreds of years (figured maple, spruce, ebony, rosewood); some are thousands of years old (Ancient Kauri). With a little research and a good imagination I expect there is an endless supply of stories to go along with any pen.

JerrySambrook

I have been doing pens for the Curtiss Air Museum, making them from reclaimed wood from the restorations that occur. My friend Charlie has then engraved the tail numbers from thaose planes onto the finished blanks.

Do not make much, but it is going to a decent cause.

GaryMGg

I have old growth antique heart pine from a house built near me by Mr. Mixson's grandfather "when he came back from the war in 1870".
This tight-grained material was harvested on the property and milled on site by local sawyers.

ttpenman

For quite a few years I made pens exclusively from Timeless Timber (since I worked there and sold my pens there) which is old growth wood salvaged from underwater. Beautiful wood and I made some pretty nice pens. BUT, when my pens (which were mostly northern hardwoods) went up on the pen forums with the guys using all the exotics (and then resins), my pens looked pretty plain. Unless I hit an exceptional piece of Birdseye or a piece of flame Birch my pens were pretty but not spectacular. I still sold quite a few.

Today you can buy Kauri wood from wwwDOTancientwoodDOTcom/ This is wood salvage from bogs in New Zealand and has been carbon dated to 50,000 years old and shown to be as much as 1200 years old when they fell. I have turned some Kauri and, IMHO it is nice, easy to turn but fairly plain to look at unless you can get some that is figured. It is pretty pricey but it certainly has a history and a story to go with it and some customers really like that.

Wood with a story seems to sell pretty well. I have lined up a supplier for wood that is going to be salvaged from a historic structure that is scheduled to be torn down in the near future. I hope to make a few products out of it including pens.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Top Bottom