I want this lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

are there any manufacturers that make this model of lathe inside the US?

MC1018VD-Burt Group Co. Ltd.

this is the company that manufacturers all these rockler/harborfreight/jet lathes that are re-branded..

the size and the variable speed are really nice. looks like a 250EURO lathe, which isnt terribly expensive when converted to us$ i believe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I couldn't find the prices. It would be great if they were the same as the ones offered here, but priced more competitively.

TonyL

I just wrote to the company...they are 14 hours or so ahead. I will let you know what I learn.

stonepecker

IF it is a copy of the harbor freight lathe.........go get one there.

But I would wait till there is a sale going on. Got mine for $100.00

A great first lathe that can become a buffing station in the future.
You will notice that Grizzly's has a bigger motor. (3/4 compared to 1/2)
You really need to compare everything and know what you want out of it.

Good luck.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think the 3/4 HP notation for that lathe at the Grizzly web site is a typo. Their spec sheet clearly states that it is has a 1/2 HP motor. It's undoubtedly the exact same Burt lathe as noted in the OP.

For the $36 cost difference (at Grizzly), I would step up to the MC1218VD which does have a 3/4 HP motor as well as handling slightly larger material.

Grizzly has a showroom in Muncie, PA - about a 4 hour drive from you if you can't find anything any closer.

mikedealer

I think the 3/4 HP notation for that lathe at the Grizzly web site is a typo. Their spec sheet clearly states that it is has a 1/2 HP motor. It's undoubtedly the exact same Burt lathe as noted in the OP.

For the $36 cost difference (at Grizzly), I would step up to the MC1218VD which does have a 3/4 HP motor as well as handling slightly larger material.

Grizzly has a showroom in Muncie, PA - about a 4 hour drive from you if you can't find anything any closer.

i just saw that after you pointed it out, that there is a bigger/stronger one...

Just so people arent confused here, that company burt-group as i said, is the company that harbor frieght and others buy their lathes from, and brand them as their own. Harbor freight doesnt have a variable speed lathe other than the small basic one. the 12x18 variable speed offered there at burt-group and by grizzly, is a really really nice lathe i think for the money. i am very tempted to pull trigger and get one. i cant go back to changing belts lol

Dalepenkala

i just saw that after you pointed it out, that there is a bigger/stronger one...

Just so people arent confused here, that company burt-group as i said, is the company that harbor frieght and others buy their lathes from, and brand them as their own. Harbor freight doesnt have a variable speed lathe other than the small basic one. the 12x18 variable speed offered there at burt-group and by grizzly, is a really really nice lathe i think for the money. i am very tempted to pull trigger and get one. i cant go back to changing belts lol

For what it's worth I have 2 grizzly wood lathes. Both good machines. I have other Grizzly machines as well and I have been very happy with their performance! I heard there customer service from others could use improvement, but anytime I had to contact them for parts, warranty, etc I have had good experences. I wouldn't hesitate to order another machine from them should the need arises. In fact at some point I will be getting one of there metal lathes. Hope this helps!

jmonaco03

I just recently bought the Grizzly 25920, its the 12 inch version and has a 3/4 hp motor. I will say i am more than happy with it. I did have a problem witht the circuit board when i first got it but the grizzly customer service was awesome. Highly recommend it.

Dave S

Go for the Harbor Freight, 8x12 1/3 HP. variable speed. Catch it on sale, add the 20% off coupon, $89.00. I have had one for years, it was my first lathe, I now have 4 lathes topping out with a Powermatic 3520 and would not dream of getting rid of my H.F. I still use it for finishing, turning pens, etc. Spend the extra money on a quality turning tool or a good sharpening system, you'll come out way ahead. You will want to make some modifications, drop the tool rest, install a headstock "balance wheel", but they are free and easy. To take a real "upgrade" from this lathe you'd have to spend over $350. Just my experience.
Dave

eddoub

lathe

are there any manufacturers that make this model of lathe inside the US?

MC1018VD-Burt Group Co. Ltd.

this is the company that manufacturers all these rockler/harborfreight/jet lathes that are re-branded..

the size and the variable speed are really nice. looks like a 250EURO lathe, which isnt terribly expensive when converted to us$ i believe.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. THEY ARE ALL CHINA TRASH.

Top Bottom