I tried for 2, but got only 1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mranum

My first ever attempt at a pen today was going pretty good until the hole in one of the blanks got slightly oversized for some reason. I should have changed it but didn't and here is the result of not listening to that little voice.:mad:
01260095204100.jpg

But all was not lost and here is the second attempt on the day. :biggrin:

2010_01260011.jpg

2010_01260010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rchan63

If you have a hole or void in a pen blank you're turning, you can fill the void with wood shavings and thin CA. let dry and continue to finish the pen. Some uses epoxy and some contrasting powder dye.

If you can find the chip you may be able to glue it back in place.

Daniel

Considering your first attempt looks like a burl, I say you where fairly well begging for it. That is to say not the best choice for your first turning. Burl is touchy that way. My bet is it is not a chip but is now lots of little pieces laying around in your pile of sawdust.
I do encourage you to not give up on the burls and such though. the "touch" and "Eye" required to not scatter them around the shop will come. For now keep in mind that as your barrel gets closer and closer to final size, take less and less of a cut, the wood is getting much thinner and much weaker as you go. I still say you are well on your way and your first results look far better than mine did. I have made enough of those shattered pieces to fill a bean bag chair over the years. I'm glad to see you got back on the horse and made a second one. It is discouraging but far from over.

mranum

Well yeah it was some nice figured Maple and it was going nice and smooth until I slipped a bit with the skew. Yup a skew, so I may have been asking for it but may as well get the scary stuff out of the way right off the bat.:tongue:

The damaged part is in a pile of splinters right now. The other half I was doing turned out fine so I just have to make another one that matches fairly close and try it again.

Lenny

Second one came out very nice!

What are you using to glue your tubes in?
If your using CA glue consider 5 min. epoxy or polyurethane glue like Gorrilla glue or Sumo (my favorite for it's quicker setup time)

mranum

These were done using Ace Hardware brand epoxy with 6 min open time. I waited only 3 hours before working the pieces, probably too short of a time.

I have some gorilla glue and thought about using that, especially on a loose fitting hole.

glycerine

Well yeah it was some nice figured Maple and it was going nice and smooth until I slipped a bit with the skew. Yup a skew, so I may have been asking for it but may as well get the scary stuff out of the way right off the bat.:tongue:

The damaged part is in a pile of splinters right now. The other half I was doing turned out fine so I just have to make another one that matches fairly close and try it again.

Ha ha hahah hahaaa!!! Sorry, not laughing at you. Laughing at your courageousness. I've been turning pens for about 9 months now and I still only use my skew as a scraper! Maybe I need to man up...

Lenny

These were done using Ace Hardware brand epoxy with 6 min open time. I waited only 3 hours before working the pieces, probably too short of a time.

I have some gorilla glue and thought about using that, especially on a loose fitting hole.

Well, :tongue: ... maybe glue wasn't the problem after all. :biggrin:

shull

50% success rate huh...Not bad for first attempts. Just learn from it and go on. Turn the damaged wood off the tube and start over. A slimline tends to be very thin walled and a slight catch by a skew can spell disaster in the blink of an eye. Make sure the tool is SHARP and take light passes.

Don't be discouraged ... just keep making sawdust.

Top Bottom