I though I'd share

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart

I have been slowly making some of the items I'll need to to make pens. Here is what I came up with as a pen press. Next will be a jig to hold blanks for drilling. I am lucky because I have a small bench top drill-press that I can dedicate to pen making. I figure by making some of the less complicated items I can purchase better quality items like the mandrels etc.

200591643626_Out%20in%20the%20shop%20085.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
That type of clamp will work but you will find the clutch will wear out and it isn't very accurate.(you'll leaarn how to dismantle slimlines quickly)
A screw type wood clmp would be better and the vice you show will also work.
There are also those who press pens together using a DP.
The vice and the DP would be much better than the clamp you have pictured,(DAMHIKT)

alamocdc

Bart, I've been using a clamp like this for pressing since April with no problems. However, it does not have enough juice to adequately press cigar pens all of the time so I had to come up with fixtures to attach to my lathe for pressing.

Scott

Hi Bart!

I use a woodworking clamp as my pen press. It's not one of these quick-grip type, but I would suspect this will work fine. As tool fanatics I think we often make too big a deal over what we use to do what. And I'm one of the worst tool fanatics there is! The clamp I use is a Bessy K-body, but that's because it's what I had, and it's still pressing pens together all these years later. Use what works for you! And have fun! [:)]

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom