I was thinking about getting the Pen Making Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamfredweb

I was thinking about getting

20071019101238_pmla.jpg

(PMLA) from Penn State Industries. Has anybody seen one in use or does anyone have one and can give me some feedback?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have the same basic lathe in the Taig series. I bought mine from LeeValley.
http://www.leevalley.com:80/wood/page.aspx?page=50260&category=&ccurrency=2&sid=

The $299 is without a motor; you will have to get the starter set @ $432 to get the motor, or purchase it separately. Also, it comes set up more for metalworking than pen turning. If you think you will use those, then that will be handy - but they will not be handy for pen turning. The Kit leaves a lot out for good pen turning. I bought the dual post tool rest that PSI does not offer. The single post is just not long enough in my opinion. I also bought an extra mandrel. The cross slide and cutters just do not do a good job on wood pens - unless you already have a good background in metal work and wood turning before hand.

AS to turning pens, it does a very good job. For pens, I can do just about anything as well on the Taig as I do with my Rikon 12 in. It was my first lathe and I purchased it because I could bring it back to Japan with me in my suitcase. Lathes are hard to find here and VERY expensive comparative to US lathes of same quality. I purchased a motor here in Japan.

I still use my Taig on occasion when I am trying to make a series of pens. Is it worth it? Depends on your needs. It is more expensive to get started with than buying a Jet VS, but if room is limited or special conditions exist, it does a great job. If you want to experiment with metal work on a small scale, this will be a bonus.

airrat

Taig makes a nice lathe. I had the chance to buy one in 97 for a steal but didn't [:(]

He lives behind my parents, I went over a couple weeks ago and he showed me his new mini cnc machines his son is working on. He makes just about everything on his lathes. I could not believe the number of cnc machines he had and the age on some of them. I plan on one day buying one of his cnc machines, just want to talk to his son and have him show me them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom