I seem to be turning down the bushings...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

How bad is this? :biggrin::frown:

I noticed it for the first time a day ago, and I think it's "real". I mean, logically, it will happen over time. But I haven't been doing this very long. I figured I would get more use. But really, what is the harm if they are off by a fraction of a millimeter?

More importantly, when is it time to replace them?

Because of this, I am thinking that my answer might be to rely less on bushings to get a good fit, and instead to use digital calipers?

kovalcik

My bet is that it is your sanding that is reducing the bushing size as opposed to the cutting. Especially if you are using HSS tools. It is pretty obvious when you try to cut metal with them. (DAMHIKT)

One thing to watch out for is you can get metal dust in the wood which will be very obvious, expecially with lighter colored woods. Try to avoid the bushings with the sandpaper and make sure to wipe your blanks down before finishing to try to remove what dust is there.

Because of this, I am thinking that my answer might be to rely less on bushings to get a good fit, and instead to use digital calipers?

That is the correct answer.
As far as replacing them, when you feel they are no longer giving you at least a rough idea of where you are, then change them out.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Use the bushings as a guide not the absolute end. When you get close start measuring. I see in the other thread that you have decided to acquire a set of Digital calipers, good choice. I made one set of bushings for each tube size not pen size. They fit in the tubes and step enough to catch the brass tube and not much more. When I need to make a pen I choose the tube size Im using and measure the parts and go to it.

StuartCovey

Don't rely on the bushings to get a good fit, use a caliper! Bushings will always wear down surprisingly fast. Once they get low don't buy more just start using them as a rough estimate and use a caliper for the rest.

Top Bottom