I S_ _ K with the skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelminski

I really do S _ _ K with the skew. Do any of you just stop with the gouge and go straight to sanding?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Until I got the Alan Lacer videos and practiced like mad, I was a gouge and grit man, myself! There's nothing quite like a video (or "in person demo") and a lot of practice. [8D]

Russb

I would be that if you took a poll most turners do not use their skew. There are a few rules to follow when using a skew and they would best be learned with Alan Lacers video, some local instruction from a AAW club and practice, practice, practice. Nothing beats the finish from a skew when spindle turning.

Possumpoint

I was clueless on how to use the skew chisel until I viewed the Penn State Industries free dvd on penn turning. You may have to pay shipping on it but the information is very helpful. Just use a jaded eye towards the blatant product advertisements it contains.

wudwrkr

I don't use a skew either. I use a 3/4 gouge to start and finish of with a 1/2 bowl gouge that has been modified to have some swept back edges. The way I use it may be similar to a skew, but I think I have more control and hardly ever get a catch!

JimGo

I use one almost exclusively. In fact, I have a magnetic bar on the far side of my lathe with all my frequently used turning tools; it has a two parting tools and two skews, and that's it. Of course, all I turn are pens and (recently) bottle stoppers, so that may skew my perspective.

jssmith3

I also was afraid of a skew till my mentor (a proffesional turner) made me use the skew to do what seemed like thousands of beads with one and now I use it alot. I find that I like it now but hated it at first. I would say don't give up, but practice like everyone is saying, it really does become easier with time.
Janet

micah

I've only been turning for a short time, but it seems to me the skew is the easiest to master. I of course use my roughing gouge to get it down to a managable size, but then straight to the skew.
I probably would use my round nose more, but after the initial edge wore off I just can't seem to get it sharpened where it really does anything.

Tea Clipper

I use a 1/2" skew from start to finish, however I do not use it properly! [:I] My technique is more of a hybrid scrape/skew action. Hey~ works for me. [8D]

gerryr

I couldn't do anything right with a skew until I watched Alan Lacer's video. I got some junk wood and made a lot of shavings and had lots of catches, but the more I practiced the fewer catches I had. I haven't used any of my three gouges in at least two months. I even do the rough turning with my skew. I use a round nose scraper on antler and acrylic and besides my parting tool, that's all I need.

Johnathan

I have a great teacher that slapped my hand when I went from the gouge to sanding. Using the skew now has become much much easier with practice. It will also save you a lot of sanding time.

alamocdc

I never touched mine until Daniel posted a link on how to use one here last year. Search the archives and you should find it. I haven't used a gouge on a pen since.

Randy_

Get an 8' 2x4 and cut it up into 8 or 10" lengths. Then cut each piece in half. Practice on every one of those pieces until they are nothing but dust and chips. Get a book or video to point you in the right direction and you should feel pretty comfortable when the 2x4 is gone.

Ron Mc

The 3/4" gouge and I are such good friends I even named it "Gouge". I have two that I alternate between to turn the blanks to bushing and ready for a fast sanding. Someday I'll give a skew a try but at the moment I really don't see a need for it.
But when I do I'll be practicing a long time on multiple 2x4's.

Sir_Stinkalot

Skew most of the way for me .....

I found that it wasn't until I was shown how to use it that I was able to understand it. It doesn't matter how any books that you read there is nothing like somebody guiding your hand.

ncseeker

I'm a self taught skew-er. I took a 2 x 2 piece of oak and went to town on it. Then I did another one. When the shavings were ankle deep I felt like I was ok with it.

Now it's all I use. I have only turned pens, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I keep my sharpening jig set up for it and touch it up when I start and then again for a final finish.

Now I guess I need to learn what all these other tools are for !! [:D]

byounghusband

I have seen both of Alan Lacer's videos and they are AWESOME. I still am not great with one yet, but I haven't turned an 8' 2x4 yet either. When I do use it to do parting type stuff on end grain, the tearout disappears. I am amazed at the great turners who I have seen do demos that use a parting tool and complain about tearout on end grain. And then sand and sand and sand........ But to each his own and if it works for you, then go with it. I want to get good with a skew like what I have seen Alan do, but that WILL be a long time.[:D]

I really used to S__k with the skew. About two years ago I bought the Alan Lacer Skew dvd, it changed much for me.

I now own 5 skews and they are all I use for turning pens, from rough to the "Money Cut", I use them.

I hone a lot more now too with a fine diamond plate, the clean cut is wonderful....well worth the learning curve....

I am a Point Down Skew turner..

[:D][:D]

GBusardo

I have gotten to the point where, if I get real lucky and don't rush it and all the starts are aligned, I get a real smooth cut with my skew. That said, there is hope for everyone. [:D]
gary

woodscavenger

Skews rule! I use a small one with diamond hone next to my lathe to do a quick honing before the last few cuts especially on some of the woods like Desert Ironwood and curly koa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom