I need to vent a little!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeinco

For the past 2 months, I've been turning nothing but Bolt Action pens for customers who want only that pen and all in acrylic. I'm sick of them!! I'll keep turning them because I've got lots of orders and the money is all going to my oldest son's cancer treatment fund, but boy I wish folks who pick something new. Wood has so much more character and with other style pens can look awesome. Thanks for letting scream a little.
Mike:mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
For the past 2 months, I've been turning nothing but Bolt Action pens for customers who want only that pen and all in acrylic. I'm sick of them!! I'll keep turning them because I've got lots of orders and the money is all going to my oldest son's cancer treatment fund, but boy I wish folks who pick something new. Wood has so much more character and with other style pens can look awesome. Thanks for letting scream a little.
Mike:mad:
In camo, camo, camo?

brownsfn2

Are you upset because you are selling lots of pens but have to sell them all in the exact same material? I understand what you mean but I am not sure most will sympathize if you are selling lots of pens. :)

What I do if there is a material or pen kit that I am just tired of making or don't want to make I charge more. :)

JohnU

Well that's a good problem. lol I totally understand that some times you just need to work with something different. I get that way making blanks. On the good side, at least its a quick single barrel to turn, and with it being acrylic, your not spending time with a CA or wood finish. I would like to help with the cancer fund and maybe give you a different blank to work with. Unfortunately it will be acrylic but maybe something different to look at. PM me your mailing address and I'll get some bolt action feather blanks out to you.

Last edited:

mikeinco

Thanks JohnU for the offer and thanks to others for the replies. Its been a long day!

WriteON

A turner can never make enough Bolts.....and in Acrylic?....forgetaboutit. Coolest pen on the planet. Glad they're selling. If you have lots of orders...you're doing nice work:good::good:

tomtedesco

Hope things good well with your son, prayers to both of you. At least you can stay busy thinking about something other than family troubles. I have done 116 of the bolt action pens, wish I thought up the idea.

79spitfire

While I totally understand where you're coming from, I have to say, it's a good problem to have.
Best thoughts for you and your son, hope he gets better soon!

mikeinco

Thank you for all the good wishes and especially prayers which I believe truly work. I've been turning about 6-8 bolts a day for 8-10 weeks, so about 200 +/-.

rreidiii

Bolt pens

I bought several bolt pens from China and purchased some JD blanks from a member here who sells them for what I think is a very fair price. Anyway I did 63 pens for a gun club I just joined and wanted to make myself look good and do the club a big favor so they can give them out to all the volunteers. The pens all came out pretty nice and I just finished them with EEE and shellawax since CA would have taked too long and too labor intensive. Here is my dilemma. I sold the pens to the club for $6 each...and I probably lost a buck a pen just in product not even including time, finish etc. yes I know this was not a great idea but I've gotten great reviews and complements from them. My question is what is a fair price to ask for bolt pens I make and sell now. I did them a big favor to look good in this club where I'm a new member but I can't lose any more money. What is the average price you folk sell your bolt penn for? I know color and wood, acrylic and antler command a higher price I just want a base price to go into gun stores and try to sell them at a fair price.
Thanks for any help in advance,
Robert

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I bought several bolt pens from China and purchased some JD blanks from a member here who sells them for what I think is a very fair price. Anyway I did 63 pens for a gun club I just joined and wanted to make myself look good and do the club a big favor so they can give them out to all the volunteers. The pens all came out pretty nice and I just finished them with EEE and shellawax since CA would have taked too long and too labor intensive. Here is my dilemma. I sold the pens to the club for $6 each...and I probably lost a buck a pen just in product not even including time, finish etc. yes I know this was not a great idea but I've gotten great reviews and complements from them. My question is what is a fair price to ask for bolt pens I make and sell now. I did them a big favor to look good in this club where I'm a new member but I can't lose any more money. What is the average price you folk sell your bolt penn for? I know color and wood, acrylic and antler command a higher price I just want a base price to go into gun stores and try to sell them at a fair price.
Thanks for any help in advance,
Robert
You not only did all that but you violated a patent to do so -- you were really kind.

mikeinco

We (my wife mostly) has been selling the bolts for $30-40 depending on the blank. We have made some blanks that she will only sell to LEO's @ $40 that is real labor intensive that we call "the Thin Blue Line" its made from a black and royal blue acrylic, has a thin blue line going from tip to top, a real pain to make.

Top Bottom