I Need Some New Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I have been using the chisels that came with my little JET Pen Lathe; but am going to include them with the lathe when I sell it now that i have a JET mini.

I need a recommendation for some new tools. I have been looking thru some of the catalogs and see where I could spend as much on 3 chisels as I spent on the lathe, itself. Being new to making pens, I don't think I'm ready to spend quite that much although I'm sure they are quality tools and worth the money.

Would someone care to suggest a moderately priced set of tools that would be good for a newbie to start off with?? Thanks.

I don't expect to be doing anything more than pens and small turnings so I don't need full sized tools.....midi set should do just fine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lee-tree

Randy,

Just my two cents.....Always spend as much as you can afford on tools, as it is worth every penny. Also a good sharpening system is worth its weight in gold.

- lee -

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Believe it or not, the Harbour Freight set that sells for about $30 in a wooden box is a great set of tools... it was my first set of turning tools and I still use them today...
I would suggest getting a good 1/2 skew chisel with radiused edges... I do most of my pen turnig with a skew... once you get the hang of it the surface finishing can be started with 220 grit or finer sandpaper.
<b>Edited 4:52PM 12/15/04
The Harbour Freight set that I have is this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066</b>

G

Second on the HF set and you might want to invest in a 1/8th an1/16th parting tools.
the 1/16th may be a luxury but I find mine helpful.

jkirkb94

Like Tom I have had some luck with HF tools. I have 3-4 sets of them. Gouge, skew and parting tool for about $10. I also have some Sorby and some Crown tools. FOR THE MONEY, the HF tools are fanatastic when you consider $3 per tool!! They are high speed steel just like my other tools. Hold an edge just as long. I tend to start with the Sorby gouge, then go to the HF tools. Depends on the blank, whatever seems to work best at the time. When one of the HF gets dull I just grab another one, then eventually sharpen all. The Sorby is NOT 10 times better. My personal 2 cents worth. The tools are item #47100. Kirk [8D]

tipusnr

I started with HF's carbon steel tools (which I wouldn't recommend) but now have some of their HSS along with a small assortment of Sorby, Crown, and Taylor tools (as they come on sale). The HF advantage is that I'm not worried about ruining them as I learn to sharpen and other things. The main down side is they are really light and chatter easily.

Outside of HF set I mainly use an oval skew and a 1/8 parting tool for penmaking.

Travlr7

I, too have Sorby, Crown, a set of tools that came with a shopsmith I used to own (These are carbon steel, ugggggh), and HF HSS tools. I use the HF set most of the time and am very happy with them. Don't see the value difference between their cost and "The high priced" Tools.

Just MHO,

Bruce[;)]

Scott

Hi Randy,

Since you still consider yourself a learner, that Harbor Freight set is good. Learning how to sharpen your tools can take a toll on them, so the less expensive tools are a good idea. Also getting a set, which has a number of different tools is a good idea, so you can try different ones to see what you like the best.

If you weren't just learning, I'd suggest you figure out which type of tool you like to use the best, and spend the money to buy the best tool you could afford in that configuration. I have a number of different tools, and the most expensive ones are the ones I tend to reach for first - not because of what I have invested in them, but because there is usually a good reason why they are more expensive. For instance, my favorite bowl gouge is a Glaser, which is about twice as pricey as my next favorite bowl gouge. But that Glaser is so much nicer to turn with, it is amazing!

So for now get the cheaper set and learn what you like the best. But in the future you'll find that money invested in good tools to be worth it!

Scott.

Fred in NC

I have the HSS HF set of 8 tools for almost two years. I think it is $35. right now. They also have a set of 3 small tools for $12. or so. It is very good too, because it has a 1/8" parting tool. I am very happy with these tools.

wayneis

Another good brand is the Benjamin's Best line from PSI untill you learn to sharpen them. Before you would be throughing good money away. I started with the HF and still have them, not bad at all. Recently I bought a Crown PM and it now is all that I use, I found a rather large difference in how long they hold an edge.

Wayne

knottyharry

This has been a good thread...
I too am interested in some chisels...but don't want to invest a whole lot of money at this time. I wondered about the HF tool sets as to if they would hold up, but it sounds like they do fairly well.
I know there is a difference in the grade of HSS and the edge that it will hold. I have a little bigger lathe, and would like to have a little bigger chisel. How are the handles and the HF chisels, are they good for a bigger lathe?
I have also heard some good things about the Benjamins Best, but again don't know much about them either.
I'm open to all suggestions at this point.
Thanks
Harry

tipusnr

The handles on my HF tools are nothing to write home again. A couple of the woodturning magazines and at least two books I can think of contain articles on making your own. I have a DVD where Dick Sing takes you through the process. Really neat but no time to do it now.

William Young

I have that identical set of HF tools and they are worth their money for what they are. . But pay more for a better grade of HHS tools and there is the difference from day to night. I feel that the HF were great beginners tools and great for practicing sharpening (often) but I am gradually replacing them one at a time with Robert Sorby tools and the difference is just amazing.
I never would have known until I took my HF set over the border for a master turner to show me some turning and sharpening tricks. But as soon as he tried sharpening the HF set he politely said , well, you wasted you money on these and then he handed me a high quality one to use to see the difference on the piece we were turning.
You can get away with cheaper tools for pens and small related things but if you are thinking of getting into bowls between 5 and 9.5 inches on your mini lathe, I am sure you will be much happier with higher quality tools that sharpen to a mucmuch better edge and hold that edge longer. I like turning much more than I do sharpening and that it is the way it is happening for me now.
Like some of the others said... buy the very best turning tools that you can afford and you will never regret it.
Just my 2¢ worth
W.Y.

G

When I need to do beading or small coves I use chip carving chisels I bought from Brookstone for $6.00 over 20 years ago.

Randy_

Thanks for all of the comments.....they are appreciated!!! Don't know what the future holds; but for the time being there is nothing but a few pens, penlights, perfume bottles and maybe a pepper mill on the menu so I can probably get along with some modest tools for the time being. Once I get some sawdust down my pants, I'll probably try to acquire some higher quality tools.

I found some tools on eBay that look like they will do the job and I won't have to sell my first born!!!

jrc

I have a Hamlet 1/2 spindle gouge form woodturners. I can turn pens all day without resharpening. It realy pays to have good tools like these. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_wood_tools.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom