I need some help with ideas for a series of pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I was approached this evening about making 15 to 20 pens for swim coaches as tokens of appreciation. I was delivering a laser guitar pen and this man saw it and asked the question. Since there is no "swimming" laser kit would any of you folks have any ideas on what would make a good kit/blank combo for this project? I considered some of the really cool acrylics but am still undecided. These will have to be made, engraved, boxed and delivered by January 16th so I need to get at it soon. Thanks for any ideas you may care to share.
WB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gingerwood

I was approached this evening about making 15 to 20 pens for swim coaches as tokens of appreciation. I was delivering a laser guitar pen and this man saw it and asked the question. Since there is no "swimming" laser kit would any of you folks have any ideas on what would make a good kit/blank combo for this project? I considered some of the really cool acrylics but am still undecided. These will have to be made, engraved, boxed and delivered by January 16th so I need to get at it soon. Thanks for any ideas you may care to share.
WB

Team Colors?

Otherwise a blue/green/white swirl acrylic would probably work nicely.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Nope, there are evidently a bunch of coaches from different teams and clubs that are part of this organization. I didn't get the chance to dig out a lot of info so this is a little like target practice in the dark.
WB

gingerwood

I know that you said that your don't have a lot of info, but do you know if they're high school coaches? If they're not, they're probably all part of the same umbrella organization (I swam AAU during the high school off-season back in the day, which changed to USA and is probably something completely different now). That organization might have colors and/or a logo that you could use.

Alternately, if you want to get fancy, you could do blue or blue-green base with white stripes to indicate lane lines.

SDB777

Too bad they couldn't smell like an over-chlorinated swimming pool? Hopefully without urine enchancements.....

I'd think along the lines of pearl white and some blue-ish swirled acrylic.....

Scott (no pee-ing in the pool) B

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I'll try to find out about team/club colors and a logo tomorrow. I am sending him pics of some of the water looking acrylic acetate blanks. Any thoughts on a kit that will be appropriate for men and women?
WB

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I thought about the scuba kit because it would be fun and relates to the water but these are swim coaches not dive coaches so I'm not sure that is a fit. How do I find Jeff Powell?
WB

wiset1

Vintage blue blanks from Jonathon Brooks! The blue and white swirls will capture the idea well. Just my opinion.

workinforwood

If you have a simple swimming logo, I could cut that out and cast it in liquid colors, like a few tones of blue and white, no problem. Have to do sets of 5. If the attached image loads, well that's a real generic type swimming symbol, pretty simple and cheap to do.

Attachments

• swimmer.jpg
    swimmer.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 71

workinforwood

Question 2..what type of pen to make..well that depends on the budget. If it was a lower budget and for swimmers, I'd go with Euro's. If for coaches and the budget was $60 or more I'd go with a JR II rollerball or something similar.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions. I haven't heard back from him yet so I'm doing that wait and see thing. I can't count the times folks have called with a need and then after I responde they disappear, that's sales for ya. I have made notes and will refer to all of your ideas if the project comes to fruition. Just a side note, he indicated they would be thinking in the $85 to $90 range so I will go with the better kits. Thanks again
WB

Top Bottom