I need a nice fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

I have gotten several orders for a nice fountain pen and don't know which one to purchase. Any thoughts?

RossVH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

IPD - these are for current fountain pen users,so they know what works and what doesn't.

Good question! Thanks.
RossVH

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If they are current users, they probably know what size they want. Also they will have a preference for a certain nib, at least fine or medium or custom.

You need to be asking THEM what they want, or making a dozen or so choices that they can see and feel.

Custom made fountain pens are not cheap, so this could very well pay off---but only if you give them what THEY like.

Ideally, look at the pens they like and try to find a similar size and weight that you can make.

rossvh

Ed, great advise. That will work for 3 customers, but not the other 2 since these are surprise gifts. We'll just have to be sneaky and get as much info as possible.
RossVH

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
-I have made several that were "gifted".

Do the best you can to suit the recipient's taste from the information you can derive.

THEN, let the recipient know he has a "trade-in" option, after he gets the gift.

He can give you back the pen and you will make one just as HE wants it.
Not only will you get THIS commission. You could become his favorite pen maker!!!

(That CAN be very profitable, as well as being fun~~~)

rossvh

Another great idea. I appreciate your insight! Thanks again!

RossVH

"it is better to aim at the stars and miss, then shoot at a skunk and hit it!"

IPD_Mr

If they are FP people then you will want to work with something that is a little lighter than your full size kits such as the Statesman. I have found that as far as kits go El Grande and Ligero kits are liked by FP people because they are not too heavy. Not sure if either are still being procuded as I have gone to all kitless in design.

glycerine

-I have made several that were "gifted".

Do the best you can to suit the recipient's taste from the information you can derive.

THEN, let the recipient know he has a "trade-in" option, after he gets the gift.

He can give you back the pen and you will make one just as HE wants it.
Not only will you get THIS commission. You could become his favorite pen maker!!!

(That CAN be very profitable, as well as being fun~~~)

I like the "trade-in" idea. Good option!

jzerger

What size nibs do most kits come with? I'm just starting to make some fountain pens (with kits) and few websites list the size of the nib. The ones I'm particularly interested in are the Jr Gent (Timberbits) and those from PSI (Presimo, Cigar,Classic Elite 2, e.g.). I've made and sold a couple Presimos and assume it's "medium". I've had a few requests for thin. For those kits that don't come with thin ... can any size thin or medium be replaced with the other? If so, can you just buy a different size and replace it. I assume I'll also need to buy a different feeder? I've been to the library and seen HOW to change the nibs so know how to upgrade but don't know if the size can be changed at the same time. Obviously, I'm very ignorant here so thanks in advance for your patience and advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom