I need help choosing a pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyfisher117

I'm working on my High School senior project. My mentor is just someone from the community and were not supposed to pay them for helping us. I was raised in a family where if someone helps you then you should in some way give back to them.

Anyways, He is a judge so I thought, Why not make him a pen? Even if he doesnt need one It would be the thought that counts..

Can someone help me pick out a pen kit that looks professional?
Doesnt cost a fortune but also if it does get used wont fall apart? Or finish wear off?
Easy for a Noobie as myself to build? (ive only got experience with slimlines, keychains, and one Wall Street pen kit.

I would prefer it to only have one wood section, When i turn pens with two sections they are IMHO a bit challenging becuase I cant seem to get them to mach up the best.

I was thinking about something like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005435/24357/Wall-Street-II-Ballpoint-Pen-Kit--Black-Titanium.aspx

With a darker wood blank. Thoughts?

Thanks a ton all

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

That kit seems like a good choice, easy to turn... i have a titanium gold / black titanium kit that i use as my everyday carry pen, and i dont exactly go easy on it... the last few months in the pocket of my jeans and the finish is still going strong... if you are concerned about the finish wearing off the components avoid the gold plated stuff... very soft.

--Dave

D.Oliver

I'm sure he'll appreciate any pen that you give him. If the pen you provided a link to is indicative of the price you would like to spend, I think a Jr. Gent II would be a good choice. I realize it isn't one barrell, but I just turned my first one last week and they are no harder to turn than a slimline.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s..._II_Rollerball_Pen_Kit___jr_gent2_roller?Args=

I also like these two.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_94&products_id=1496

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_47&products_id=576

jhprice

Excellent choice. Single tube, easy to turn and you can select from any wood blank you want. WC usually have a fair choice of wood blanks. I'd look for cocobolo or something similar.

LanceD

That particular kit is an excellent choice. I don't make many wood pens but I've done several of those with alternative ivory.

1080Wayne

How much do you know about the individual ? Wood from a tree he grew up with might be appreciated . Claro or black walnut would be dark , but neither are native to your area , if that is where he is from .

williamcr

Good choice on the pen kit and I also like the cocobolo with darker pens like that.

Cheap finish that will last to me says chrome or black TI. Personal opinion, Electra or a Zen to me look classy. For a dark wood I would go with Zircote. If you have to spend more money on one part of the project spend it on the blank.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with Derek, for the same price and still very easy, I'd go with a two-piece capped pen...and I know from personal experience that, for some unknown reason, Judges and Lawyers seem to have a thing for fountain pens, so you might consider that.

But then again, I'm sure he will appreciate the sentiment and the effort, regardless! My congratulations to your parents for doing what sounds like a great job raising you! :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good Choice

I'm working on my High School senior project. My mentor is just someone from the community and were not supposed to pay them for helping us. I was raised in a family where if someone helps you then you should in some way give back to them.

Anyways, He is a judge so I thought, Why not make him a pen? Even if he doesnt need one It would be the thought that counts..

Can someone help me pick out a pen kit that looks professional?
Doesnt cost a fortune but also if it does get used wont fall apart? Or finish wear off?
Easy for a Noobie as myself to build? (ive only got experience with slimlines, keychains, and one Wall Street pen kit.

I would prefer it to only have one wood section, When i turn pens with two sections they are IMHO a bit challenging becuase I cant seem to get them to mach up the best.

I was thinking about something like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005435/24357/Wall-Street-II-Ballpoint-Pen-Kit--Black-Titanium.aspx

With a darker wood blank. Thoughts?

Thanks a ton all

That is a pretty good ballpoint choice Gold Titanim/black titanium will also hold up well. One of the elegant versions would also work well in the ballpoint.

Jr Gent 1 or 2 are resonably priced kits that you can get in Fountain Pen or Rollerball. A lot of class for the price.

Top Bottom